Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 12:48 PM

16,665 posts, read 17,428,904 times

Advertisements

Check this out. I did a search involving human hair and found this-

Questions On Deer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 08:40 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,837,605 times
I have tried a product called Milorganite and found it to be somewhat effective. Bottom line --- you may have to accept that you live where the deer roam and plant shrubs and flowers that they do not like. At least you won't have plants eaten down to the ground. In shaded areas, they won't touch hellebores or ferns and many shrubs. You can google a list of plants www.walterreeves.com. He is the GA Gardener and is very informative on any subject concerning gardening.On the other hand, I never have to prune my roses the deer do it for me!!!!!

Old 03-12-2009, 08:53 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,171,554 times
You might also try urinating around the areas you want to keep them away from.

I'd do it at night so the neighbors don't call the police.

Old 03-13-2009, 05:03 PM

202 posts, read 821,155 times
Default works with moose

I read a gardening article about a woman using pinwheels to keep moose out of her garden. She evidently used.... "pinwheels mounted to tall bamboo stakes and pushed into the ground at strategic spots around her garden. Jane discovered that her neighborhood moose don't seem to like the shiny, moving things and steer clear of them."
Predator urine products definitely work but are expensive and get washed away by rain.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:11 PM

5 posts, read 26,637 times
Have you ever try Scarecrow Sprinkler?
Ideal for repel deer away for your garden.
When the ScareCrow detects deer heat and movement, senses the same security lights detect people in a 1,000 square foot area day and night, it instantly releases a short but startling burst of water. The sudden spray of water and the movement and noise of the sprinkler scares deer away. Deer associate this negative experience with the area and avoid your yard in the future.

Perhaps you would like to visit my blog next time: Scarecrow Sprinkler Reviews, Tips, Installation's Instruction, video>> scarecrow motion sprinkler, scarecrow sprinkler, scarecrow motion activated sprinkler

Old 08-21-2009, 12:18 AM

2,160 posts, read 7,514,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
You might also try urinating around the areas you want to keep them away from.

I'd do it at night so the neighbors don't call the police.
The OP has 10 acres...thats a lot of drinkin' :-)

Old 08-21-2009, 12:23 AM

2,160 posts, read 7,514,785 times
Human hair does work...but it only works where the wind can carry the scent, and the scent lowers over time. So...you'll need quite a bit.

I have had barbers sweep up clippings and put them in a bag for me. You'll need a bunch, but if you can get it distributed out it should work. We used to put the hair in panty hose and hang it from the trees.

Old 08-21-2009, 12:56 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,896,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post

Free ranging dogs 'on your property' are the only sure solution to keep deer away but again do nothing to mitigate your tick problem.
Surely you aren't suggesting getting a dog and keeping it permanently outdoors? Our dogs love the outdoors, and spend a great deal of time outside. It never deterred the deer at all. I have tried all sorts of things, but the only thing that has worked for me is spraying every 3-4 weeks. It's expensive, but I refuse to stop gardening.

Old 08-23-2009, 05:17 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,655,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
I live in NE GA on 10 acres mostly wooded and I'd like to hear from you who use some type of economical deer repelent.

I'd like to keep them away from around my house and a small arena to start. I have a real tick problem and I'm hoping this year to keep it down.

At the feed store they have some stuff but it's pretty pricy...I have heard about using human hair but I'd like to hear from someone who has actually used it and any other economical product.

Thanks in advance
I'd use a Martin X-200 with 400+ grain arrows.

Old 08-23-2009, 05:27 PM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,292,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Economic deer repellant? How about 12-gauge buckshot? If you're not the hunting type, I'm sure there's no shortage of folks in the area who'd be more than happy to help you with your problem.

OMG! I almost spit my iced coffee out! That was gonna be my answer!
(2 points if I could!) LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden