Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 09:38 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,449,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtom45 View Post
Natural doesn't always equate with safer. Roundup is less toxic than vinegar and much more effective as a weed killer.
Really? I had no idea? What is wrong with vinegar? I know my tree-hugging in-laws use many 'natural' things to battle insects, and other pests. Cinnamon, and even soap suds from washing the dishes, will run off ants.

I'd almost think diluted white vinegar would be less harmful to the environment than Windex, and ammonia.

Can you cite sources? or give reasons? I'm curious. I know we used to think the trucks that came through as the height of mosquito season in the Summer were safe, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2010, 10:18 AM

955 posts, read 4,090,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
Really? I had no idea? What is wrong with vinegar? I know my tree-hugging in-laws use many 'natural' things to battle insects, and other pests. Cinnamon, and even soap suds from washing the dishes, will run off ants.

I'd almost think diluted white vinegar would be less harmful to the environment than Windex, and ammonia.

Can you cite sources? or give reasons? I'm curious. I know we used to think the trucks that came through as the height of mosquito season in the Summer were safe, too.
The acute oral LD50 (lethal dose to 50% of the population) for Roudup is 5600mg/kg
The acute oral LD50 for vinegar is 3010mg/kg
It is important to understand that the higher the LD50, the less toxic the product - meaning it will take more of the product to kill you. These numbers are no reflection on the products affect to the enviroment, they are just a measurement of the toxicity to humans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden