Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 12:01 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,391,103 times

Advertisements

We have a living wall of Leylands along the back. We don't water them, fertilize them or trim them and they've never been diseased. Knock wood.

They were planted about 10 years ago, and they're at least 25 feet tall. They have grown together, so there's no way they could spread any wider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 07:02 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,578,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyehollywood View Post
We have a living wall of Leylands along the back. We don't water them, fertilize them or trim them and they've never been diseased. Knock wood.

They were planted about 10 years ago, and they're at least 25 feet tall. They have grown together, so there's no way they could spread any wider.
The mites just haven't found them yet.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:11 PM

3 posts, read 53,756 times
I have the same problem ,Thuja Green Giant Arborvitae vs Leylands. I am leaning towards the Green Giant but I have not seen one photo yet showing that it will grow togather for privacy. Also I have not seen proof that it can be kept trimed. I have about 6' to 7' wide to work with. Has any one seen the green giant grown togather and kept trimed tight??

Old 04-29-2009, 10:04 AM

230 posts, read 1,215,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by party pete View Post
I have the same problem ,Thuja Green Giant Arborvitae vs Leylands. I am leaning towards the Green Giant but I have not seen one photo yet showing that it will grow togather for privacy. Also I have not seen proof that it can be kept trimed. I have about 6' to 7' wide to work with. Has any one seen the green giant grown togather and kept trimed tight??
This is one of the better photos I've seen with the GG's growing together, and possibly trimmed. Most of the photos you will see are not like this, though, and I don't think they grow together as nicely as the leylands. Tough choice.
Attached Thumbnails
Leyland vs Green Giant, age-old debate-plants_main_windbreak.jpg  

Old 04-30-2009, 05:14 PM

ZakAttack,Thanks for the photo,it helps. Your Pros & Cons are right on. I live on Long Island NY and last year my wife decided it would be nice to have a pool for the kids.We had to cut down a beautiful maple (I am still crying) to make room for the pool.Well the pool is in and I feel like I live in a fish bowl. I live on a bend and back up to a dead end so once I took down the maple I realized I had FIVE homes looking into my back yard. I now have 254 feet of fence line to cover. I need privacy fast. Thuja Green Giant Arborvitae vs Leylands age old question!!!!! I am so confused. I need hight without the width.WHAT TO DO,WHAT TO DO.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:49 AM

Well then I think you answered your own question, height without the width = GG arbs over the leylands.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:30 PM

Well, we went with buying BOTH leylands and green giant arborvitaes, all in the 3 gallon/3 foot size range. So the race is on to see which ones grow the prettiest and fastest.

Old 05-10-2009, 05:26 PM

ZakAttack, Good luck with that. Me, I think I am going with the green giant arborvitaes. I am still concerned that they may not grow togather for privacy. Well I guess we will find out in three or four years. Thanks for all the info.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:37 AM

152 posts, read 850,071 times
ZakAttack or Tressa, would you mind updating this thread based on your results with your tree selection. A recent picture of your trees would be nice too. As there are not many pictures out there showing these trees as privacy screen. Thanks.

Old 05-28-2011, 10:20 AM

103 posts, read 410,128 times
I know this is an old thread but I'm curious to see what the results were. I just planted 16 Leyland Cypresses in my back yard. I plan to do Emerald Green for my side yard because I don't need the height, just don't want to look at my neighbor's detached garage :lol:

I chose the leyland cypresses in my situation because:

- the adjoining property on the other side of me has cypresses that are 12 or so years old and none of them are diseased. They look healthy etc.

-they were relatively cheap from a local nursery who had an overstock. Most Green Giants were at least double the cost for the same size.

-I have townhouses behind me and that entire building as well as my own house will act as a wind break. The townhouses are the main reason I'm putting up the natural screen.

For me, it's only been a few months but so far so good. We'll see how long they last...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden