Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 02:24 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,715,024 times

Advertisements

We moved to a new home recently. The location’s great – out of the middle of the city, just the way I like it. There is just one problem – we have a ton of deer around. The other day, when I opened the garage door, I surprised three deer who were standing in front of the house.

The neighbors say that without a fence, the deer will decimate any garden planted. Is there any surefire way to keep deer out of a garden – without going to the expense and work of installing a fence?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 06:02 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,849,394 times
Ohhh, you will get a lot of advice here, there are several threads going about this! I have tried it all, hair, dogs, coyote pee, soap, etc., but the only thing that works for me is spraying everything. It's time-consuming, you have to re-spray every month, but it works. I use Bobbex. I also tried another product last fall that worked very well (and I liked the sprayer that came with it), called Deer and Rabbit Solution.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:23 AM

18,717 posts, read 30,983,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
Ohhh, you will get a lot of advice here, there are several threads going about this! I have tried it all, hair, dogs, coyote pee, soap, etc., but the only thing that works for me is spraying everything. It's time-consuming, you have to re-spray every month, but it works. I use Bobbex. I also tried another product last fall that worked very well (and I liked the sprayer that came with it), called Deer and Rabbit Solution.
The sprays work well, especially if you change them every other season. I get the best results switching off betweening Liquid Fence and Bobbex. If you use the same spray over and over the critters get used to it and start ignoring it.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:08 AM

1,821 posts, read 7,715,024 times
OK ... I'll have to check those out. Thanks for the advice!

Old 03-31-2009, 12:13 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,787,073 times
The only guaranteed method to protect your garden from deer is to completely fence it in with a tall fence. There is nothing except dogs or a pet cougar that will keep the deer away. Besides, many people, me included, like the deer to come around and encourage them. But, we also like to grow vegetables.

Consider a community garden. You can always find some vacant land that the owner will let you grow on, and with a little effort, the materials to construct a deer proof fence can be found for free or donated, and the labor done by volunteers.

There are thousands of Community Gardens around the country and lots of info about how to organize one can be found on the Net.

Old 03-31-2009, 05:27 PM

228 posts, read 997,513 times
I have no first hand knowledge of this, but my mom had a garden, and the deer were really giving her fits...my brother who was a game warden at the time told her to put up pie tins (hung them from trees, on stakes,etc)..just the cheap kind you have a ready bake pie in...worked for her!

Old 03-31-2009, 05:40 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,689,145 times
I have weird deer. They DO NOT eat my garden. A hosta went missing...a few nibbles off a rose bush - but everything is still there and many plants are completely ignored. Oh, I take that back - one of the 7 regulars likes English Ivy. That's OK - my yard is covered in it.
I'm even going to plant some cheap roses FOR them. Already planted some crabapples...for them. Blueberries, for them.
(I'm weird, too.)
Last summer I broadcast some Whitetail chicory and winter hardy burdock for them but only the burdock came up. They have ignored that, too.

I'm buying a modest greenhouse for the stuff I'd rather not chance...my luck, they'll want the tomatoes.

Old 04-01-2009, 03:54 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,811,879 times
I heard deer wont eat irises and a couple other flowers.

Old 04-02-2009, 06:54 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,910,545 times
I am doing a rasied bed for the first time this year, and from what I've seen and heard, deer and rabbits are going to be a problem.

I'm in a dense suburban area. The HOA covenants don't seem very specific regarding garden fences, but I've been thinking of some sort of portable, lightweight electric fence. There have been some great strides recently. "Hot tape" and mesh; really lightweight.

Then I was thinking that since the garden is in fairly close proximity to my back porch, that maybe I could rig up the porch light with a motion sensor. Researching those I found these. Solar, so I don't even need a source of electricity, I can just screw a couple of them on to the garden walls. Do you think that would be enough to scare them away?

Old 04-04-2009, 10:16 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,269,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsbadmojo View Post
I am doing a rasied bed for the first time this year, and from what I've seen and heard, deer and rabbits are going to be a problem.

I'm in a dense suburban area. The HOA covenants don't seem very specific regarding garden fences, but I've been thinking of some sort of portable, lightweight electric fence. There have been some great strides recently. "Hot tape" and mesh; really lightweight.

Then I was thinking that since the garden is in fairly close proximity to my back porch, that maybe I could rig up the porch light with a motion sensor. Researching those I found these. Solar, so I don't even need a source of electricity, I can just screw a couple of them on to the garden walls. Do you think that would be enough to scare them away?
Thanks so much for that link. We also have rabbit and deer issues, and I think that will be one weapon in my arsenal . My dh is building a pcv/wire screen that can be put on and taken off (like a cake cover). Hoping that will help too. And lots of anti deer spray, I think it's called pest be gone? I got it at lowe's and it does help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden