Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 11:25 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times

Advertisements

Hi!

We have a very shady and very wet area of our backyard that has exposed tree roots to boot. It's on a bit of a downslope and it's a mess.

That area gets particularly muddy and because we have a dog who loves to play in "his" yard, I spend a lot of time wiping his paws before he comes inside (which is a million times per day).

ANYWAY...

After much thought, we decided against putting rocks in the area and were encouraged to lay out top soil and plant pachysandra. We had planned on doing that later this month and then, when I started reading up more on pachysandra, I found that ticks are attracted to it.

Well! Pachysandra + ticks + dog = bad!!!!

We use Frontline on the dog but still...

Does anyone know if there are other ground covers that are not so attractive to ticks? Or any other ideas to create a natural (green) area that will not become a mud pit (i.e. that the top soil is not exposed but covered by some plant)?

What about ivy? Is that a good alternative?

Thanks,
Dawn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 12:03 PM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
It's not the Pachysandra, it's the groundcover. Ticks prefer moist, shady locations and will infest groundcovers, tall grass and weeds, shrubs, leaf litter.

Old 04-03-2009, 01:19 PM

So you're saying that it doesn't matter what we plant there, ticks will be attracted because of the dampness?

Old 04-03-2009, 05:42 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,152,607 times
If you scatter some pennyroyal plants (or seeds) around, fleas and ticks will not hang around long. The oil from this plant is used in organic flea sprays and works great in the house as a houseplant too. Park Seeds has them. Just don't use it if you have cats that like to chomp on things. It's fatal to cats.

Old 04-03-2009, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
If you scatter some pennyroyal plants (or seeds) around, fleas and ticks will not hang around long. The oil from this plant is used in organic flea sprays and works great in the house as a houseplant too. Park Seeds has them. Just don't use it if you have cats that like to chomp on things. It's fatal to cats.
Terrific solution! Thanks!!! It's not fatal to dogs, right? Wouldn't want to kill the pooch just to have a green lawn.

Old 04-03-2009, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Terrific solution! Thanks!!! It's not fatal to dogs, right? Wouldn't want to kill the pooch just to have a green lawn.
Only at high doses. The problem with cats is that pennyroyal is a mint. Just like catnip. Sometimes, they can't really tell the difference and even a small amount can kill a cat. Dogs would have to ingest a lot to harm them. And most wouldn't like the flavor enough to eat that much.

Old 04-03-2009, 07:25 PM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Oil of pennyroyal or the crushed plant will repel insects, but the standing plants not so much - maybe not at all. You live in one of the ground zero tick disease locations; I just don't think that's good enough. Your pet might be fine with the medication; you may not be so lucky.

That doesn't mean that you can't have ground cover. Either treat the area with a pesticide or groom your pet daily and check for ticks.

Old 04-03-2009, 11:12 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post

After much thought, we decided against putting rocks in the area and were encouraged to lay out top soil and plant pachysandra. W

Does anyone know if there are other ground covers that are not so attractive to ticks? Or any other ideas to create a natural (green) area that will not become a mud pit (i.e. that the top soil is not exposed but covered by some plant)?

What about ivy? Is that a good alternative?

Thanks,
Dawn

Have you considered ajuga? When in bloom, it has very pretty flower spikes; it's super hardy, if you mow it, it just stays "close cropped"... The color of the leaves can range from medium green to dark purplish green.

Old 04-04-2009, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Oil of pennyroyal or the crushed plant will repel insects, but the standing plants not so much - maybe not at all. You live in one of the ground zero tick disease locations; I just don't think that's good enough. Your pet might be fine with the medication; you may not be so lucky.

That doesn't mean that you can't have ground cover. Either treat the area with a pesticide or groom your pet daily and check for ticks.
Since the dog likes to play in that area, I assumed that it would provide enough crushing of the leaves to repel a lot of insects. I wouldn't stop using Frontline, which I use on my cat since fleas are the state insect of NC. I'm just not a fan of pesticides in the yard except in really exceptional cases.

Old 04-04-2009, 05:50 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Have you considered ajuga? When in bloom, it has very pretty flower spikes; it's super hardy, if you mow it, it just stays "close cropped"... The color of the leaves can range from medium green to dark purplish green.
I have a similar problem (hillside, shady, lots of white pines nearby so grass doesn't grow there. In other words, it's mostly dirt). I just looked up Ajuga and it sounds perfect since its extensive roots=erosion control.

But I see it's a member of the mint family, and I remember some people on this board warning against using mint. Anyone have negative experiences with Ajuga? If not, next week I'm planting it on my shady naked hillside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden