Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 08:20 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,152,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
I agree with harry chickpea, 12x12 is a really small area. Use railroad ties or landscape timbers to raise the level of the ground, fill in with dirt. That's where my agreement ends, I would plant it with herbs that you can pick from to use in cooking and in desserts or beverages. You didn't say how tall the stumps were. If they are more than a foot, I would nail a bucket on it's side to the top of the stump, add some dirt and seeds to it to make it look like flowers spilling out of the bucket all over the stump. Ivy is very good for that, as well as phlox.
I have a trailing scented geranium that would work well for the stump...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 04:59 AM

7,730 posts, read 14,157,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
We have a difference of opinion. It can be kept trimmed, rather than allowed to rule the whole space. I guess some things need to be said rather than assumed.
Ivy is listed as an invasive species in NC. It's not that you can't keep it contained, but the birds spread the seeds that end up in the woods choking out native plants. Eventually, the person that planted the ivy and kept it contained will not be there to do that. Within a few years.....

Old 04-09-2009, 05:36 AM

7 posts, read 17,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
I bought a home back in November and the yard is in very sad shape. Now that it is getting warm, I need to do something about it. I have an area about 12x12 foot square (a perfect square between the sidewalk and the house) that is a mess. There are a few stumps, 2 shrubs, and dead grass poking through the ancient woodchips- it is a mess (I'd post a picture, but I don't actually have one and it is dark right now!).
Any ideas as to what to do with it? It is such a large area and so square, I am clueless. I will say I do not want anything hard to maintain or expensive.
Without seeing an actual condition we can't help you.
So provide image or diagram of your site.

Last edited by henrykemp1; 04-09-2009 at 05:38 AM.. Reason: Spelling Mistake

Old 04-09-2009, 01:00 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,608,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
Ivy is listed as an invasive species in NC.
I gave the OP a suggestion as asked. You are welcome to disagree.

Old 04-11-2009, 05:09 AM

7 posts, read 17,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
I bought a home back in November and the yard is in very sad shape. Now that it is getting warm, I need to do something about it. I have an area about 12x12 foot square (a perfect square between the sidewalk and the house) that is a mess. There are a few stumps, 2 shrubs, and dead grass poking through the ancient woodchips- it is a mess (I'd post a picture, but I don't actually have one and it is dark right now!).
Any ideas as to what to do with it? It is such a large area and so square, I am clueless. I will say I do not want anything hard to maintain or expensive.
Patio cover is the best option for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden