U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 11:33 AM

517 posts, read 2,241,562 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My DH and I just recently bought our first home so I get to start my first "real" garden soon. I have only done containers up until now. I was wondering what the most important basic tools are and if you have any suggestions about brands.

I'm reading up on the subject but there is just SO much out there and its hard to know what a novice gardener like myself will really need.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 11:47 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,060,778 times
I get by with very little:

1. Shovel for digging deep holes.

2. Spade for digging little holes.

3. One good pair of pruning shears. I splurged at a garden center and have never regretted getting a good pair. Sorry I don't remember the brand.

4. A lopper, if you have plants with thick stems or branches.

5. Something to mix dirt, peat moss, etc. in before planting. Can be anything, an old pot or box is fine.

6. Garden gloves. We get a pack of knit "disposable" ones from WalMart and use them over and over. They last a whole season, sometimes two. They're very inexpensive--I don't see a need for expensive gloves.

I also have a weeding tool which I use a lot, but it's not necessary.

Old 04-10-2009, 11:51 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,060,778 times
Oh, and you'll need a hose if you don't already have a sprinkler system.

Old 04-10-2009, 11:55 AM

7,730 posts, read 12,449,963 times
If you're making large beds, a tiller. A front tine tiller works fine for small areas.

A wheelbarrow is the best thing you can buy to transport lots of stuff around the yard. Bags of dirt and mulch get really heavy after the 10th or 12th one. Good for mixing concrete for setting posts too.

Anything else you might need for your yard, you'll use it, mower, weed eater, etc.

VAtoNC gave you a pretty good list for the basics.

Old 04-10-2009, 05:09 PM

2,466 posts, read 4,202,322 times
Aside from all of the things previously mentioned, we have a large, long pry bar looking thing. It sorta has a chisel looking end but really thick. It's great for breaking up and digging out large rocks. It is all metal and rather thick so it won't break like a shovel handle would. I don't know how many times I run into a rock about the size of a football or bigger while trying to dig a hole.

Another tool I use every so often when I plant bulbs, is a bulb planter. It is good for measuring the right depth and size for your holes.

I also use a trenching shovel every now and then. It comes in handy when you want to run lines for a sprinkler system or put in outdoor lighting. I also use it sometimes to dig up and transplant flowers.

I also have a long hoe and a garden rake as well as a small hand held hoe and rake. I also have a small hand shovel which is good for digging in pots and containers. But you probably know that being that you have grown things in containers before.

Old 04-10-2009, 05:45 PM

16,851 posts, read 51,335,478 times
Once the surface is properly tilled, which can be hired done, most of the work of a small garden can be done with a sharp garden hoe. When weeding is done, a hoe can get in-between plants and cut off weeds. Turned at an angle, it can furrow or dig out stones. Used upside down, you can drag the end of the handle to lay out rows. It can kill bugs and snakes. It can be leaned on.

All the other tools have their purposes, but if I had to choose one, it would be a hoe with a fiberglass handle and rubber sleeve. I would also want a file or grindstone to keep the blade sharp.

The second tool would be a sturdy garden rake, to pull away weeds that the hoe took care of.

Water is an issue in gardens. Don't be fooled by lush growth in the springs, rains, and moist soil. In the heat of the summer, the soil dries up, the plants shrivel, and the rains can be few and far between. Putting in a temporary irrigation line soon after planting can be easier than fighting to put one in later. You can use an old broken down hose that leaks as a drip waterer. Thy not to confuse it with a snake and kill it with the hoe.

Old 04-10-2009, 06:20 PM

32,114 posts, read 39,199,960 times
I would add a spading fork, I like a scuffle hoe (double edged works back and forth), a trowel. I made a planting board marked at 6 and 12 inch intervals close to thirty years ago. Yes to a rake. You can make a sifter for compost.

Old 04-10-2009, 08:20 PM

517 posts, read 2,241,562 times
Thanks everyone! I've got my list. Now I've just got to get out and get them.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:02 PM

1,673 posts, read 5,528,194 times
One thing I bought that I have enjoyed is the lawn buddy. You can haul around your small tools, small bags of dirt and sit on it while you plant. Really saves your back.
Attached Thumbnails
Starting a garden - necessary tools-757559.gif  

Old 04-10-2009, 09:04 PM

1,354 posts, read 5,628,631 times
I think one of the best gardening tools is a hula hoe. Our garden is huge and planted in rows. Weeding is a snap now with the hula hoe. It takes two of us 30 minutes to weed our veggie garden, twice a week. I found one for $7.99 at Grocery Outlet this week. Normally they are $25-$35.

Here is what it looks like.
1000L Hula Hoe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or