U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 02:11 PM

9,039 posts, read 18,403,191 times

Advertisements

I have plenty of spots with daffodil plants coming up but very few buds/flowers? Any suggestions??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2009, 02:23 PM

32,173 posts, read 39,311,449 times
How long have they been in? After a few years daffs get crowded and bloom production drops. If that's the case you need to let the foliage ripen and dig out the bulbs to divide and replant them farther apart. Same thing happens with daylilies.

Old 04-11-2009, 04:34 PM

6,886 posts, read 7,095,779 times
Do the ends lok nibbled? (rabbits, etc...)

Old 04-11-2009, 05:02 PM

15,400 posts, read 25,280,263 times
Or, are they underneath a pine tree? I have several underneath a white pine that did not bloom. The leaves look healthy and un-nibbled. I presume they don't like the shade or maybe the soil. Either way, they're getting moved next month.

Old 04-11-2009, 05:19 PM

4,538 posts, read 7,989,505 times
Like North Beach Person recommended...

Have they been there a long time, in clumps? Then they need to be divided, i.e. the bulbs dug up and replanted spread out. They don't flower well when they are all crammed together. I live in a 1935 house. I divided nonflowering clumps of old daffodils a couple of years ago and you ought to see all the beautiful varieties I now have blooming around my yard

Be careful, however. There is a right and wrong time to divide and I don't think now is a good time. Perhaps someone else here knows when the best time is.

Old 04-11-2009, 05:40 PM

32,173 posts, read 39,311,449 times
Dig daffodils and divide after the foliage starts to brown.

Old 04-11-2009, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
How long have they been in? After a few years daffs get crowded and bloom production drops. If that's the case you need to let the foliage ripen and dig out the bulbs to divide and replant them farther apart. Same thing happens with daylilies.
They've been there a few years, but they're definitely not crowded. No, no nibbles either - the wild rabbits seem to be eating other things .
But it's on the north side of the house, with old, big oak trees, so there isn't that much sun either.
Guess I'll try to divide when the leaves turn.

Thanks all!

Old 04-11-2009, 09:37 PM

7,730 posts, read 12,459,378 times
You could try a bulb boost fertilizer. Most box stores have it right now. Use it in the fall on the bulbs and see if they bloom better next year.

I had lots of clumps that did nothing this year. The reason is due to age. They were here when I bought the house and have probably been in place for nearly 2 decades.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:28 AM

4,179 posts, read 9,129,996 times
Oaks put a lot of acidity in the soil; it is why they are used for tanning hides, esp black oak stumps. That may be part of the problem, as well as being crowded and shaded. My daffs and narcissus always turned to face the sun like sunflowers! LOL Most bunnies and deer don't like bulb or corm plants like daffs, narcissus, and daylilies. Sometimes a late snow or freeze will bite them just as they get ready to bloom, but that doesn't sound like your problem here. Usually that only makes the flowers weaker, unless it snaps them off at the neck by weight or wind.

North Beach Person is right, don't dig them until the leaves turn brown and dry.

Old 04-13-2009, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
I had lots of clumps that did nothing this year. The reason is due to age. They were here when I bought the house and have probably been in place for nearly 2 decades.
So they do get "too old"?? I bought this house almost 8 years ago, and they were here then - the previous owner had a love for gardening, but not too much for bulbs.
I'll try the suggestions offered here, thank you All!

I "inherited" lots and lots of beautiful and even unusual plants, so I can't complain...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden