U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-26-2009, 07:44 AM

1,831 posts, read 2,368,091 times

Advertisements

I've used several wasp traps the past 2 yrs, homemade and store bought, but i never caught one wasp! (Believe me, there are tons around my back deck!) has anyone had any success and with which trap? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2009, 01:19 PM

2,465 posts, read 3,063,946 times
You may have the species of wasps that wasp traps do not work on. There are litterally 100s of wasp species. Some are attracted to the traps and some aren't. I have wasp traps and usually find wasps inside, but not every wasp I have come in my yard are attracted to the traps so I have to use other methods with them.

One method I found that works really well on wasps is I get an insect spray called Spectracide Pro Wasp and Hornet Killer. (found it at Home Depot) It works for up to 4 weeks. I will put food like jelly, peanut butter, and meat out on a paper plate or butter lid and spray a bit of the spectracide on it and place them around my yard where the wasps are commonly seen. The wasps are attracted to the food, get a bit of spectracide on them and fall over and die. I also spray around areas that they are prone to build nests like under my deck railings, under eves, in my storage shed, cracks in exterior walls, under my shed, anywhere that I have found nests in the past, before I started using spectracide. I do this as early as possible in the spring when the queens are out flying around. If you can kill the queens before they find nest spots, you will reduce the number of wasps in your area.

I forgot to say, that I spray these areas before they start building nests. Because the stuff lasts so long if they happen to decide to build a nest where I have sprayed, they come in contact with the spectracide while they are trying to build a nest and die before they can succeed. All they have to do is walk across an area that has been sprayed with the spectracide and they fall over and die. I reccomend respraying after a really hard rain. And if you use the method of putting food out sprayed with the spectracide you should also remove and replace the food with newly sprayed food after a rain or good dowsing of water. (like sprinklers)

Old 04-26-2009, 04:48 PM

Thanks for the info. I know i have a couple of different kinds of paper wasps, have tried homemade traps with jelly and raw meat that didnt work. i have been using a spray to kill the wasps thi weekend, and it works immediately. and, like you said, wasps do not go where I've sprayed. Now if only I can get my husband on the roof to spray the wasps I can reach....

Oh, by the way, I know these wasps are good for something, like getting the grubs in my yard before they turn into japanese beetles, but when i feel trapped in my own house because there are so many, i gotta do something!

Last edited by stoymonkey; 04-26-2009 at 04:59 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 04-26-2009, 07:53 PM

2,465 posts, read 3,063,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoymonkey View Post
Thanks for the info. I know i have a couple of different kinds of paper wasps, have tried homemade traps with jelly and raw meat that didnt work. i have been using a spray to kill the wasps thi weekend, and it works immediately. and, like you said, wasps do not go where I've sprayed. Now if only I can get my husband on the roof to spray the wasps I can reach....

Oh, by the way, I know these wasps are good for something, like getting the grubs in my yard before they turn into japanese beetles, but when i feel trapped in my own house because there are so many, i gotta do something!
I know how you feel. I am absolutely terrified of any flying insect that stings. Bees are not as big a problem as most time they leave me alone, but every once in awhile a rogue one will get a little fiesty. But the wasps and hornets on the other hand are always on the attack and I am afraid to leave my house. A few are one thing but hordes are another.

The wasps will go where I have sprayed and that is the beauty of it because the spray I use will continue to kill them weeks later baring any exterme moisture on the areas I've sprayed. I just spray the areas that I know they like to make nests or land on frequently. By doing this it kills them before they can build nests. If they do mangae to make a nest I spray it and it will continue to kill any returning wasps that weren't in the nest when I sprayed it.

Old 04-26-2009, 10:04 PM

598 posts, read 1,367,606 times
Have you tried "Connecticut"?

Old 04-27-2009, 06:44 AM

2,256 posts, read 3,539,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoymonkey View Post
I've used several wasp traps the past 2 yrs, homemade and store bought, but i never caught one wasp! (Believe me, there are tons around my back deck!) has anyone had any success and with which trap? Thanks
You know, when I first saw this, I was thinking it could be Yellow Jackets that were the problem, especially being that the area was around your deck which would indicate outdoor eating, Bar-B-Qs, etc.

But if indeed they are from the paper wasp family, could the nests actually be in and around or under your decking ??? Look around the eaves of your roof for their nests or even any outbuildings, sheds, etc. I hate killing them too, but when I had to, I always used something powerful, safe and effective. Here's a peppermint spray that sprays as far away as 15 feet and foams up on the nest. It really does work.
Victor Wasp and Hornet Spray

Old 04-27-2009, 03:25 PM

Thanks. Actually I also have yellow jackets and bumble bees and carpenter bees, as well as the wasps. Oh, and usually hornets, but havent seen any yet. I will look into this spray.

Old 04-27-2009, 04:08 PM

15,819 posts, read 32,017,476 times
We use those plastic yellow bottle traps. We try different baits Coke works really well (not diet). Spoiled fruit or meat for other types of wasps. THe expensive attractant works well too. They mostly catch yellow jackets, but some other types too. They do nto catch mud wasps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden