U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 08:05 AM

172 posts, read 469,039 times

Advertisements

These bastards..really? STOP EATING MY DECK!!!

I was sitting on my deck enjoying a glass of wine with my husband when I noticed..once again..the big fat carpenter bee flyin' around..then the bastard hovers..then disappears into this perfectly round, 3/8 inch hole in my deck..I couldn't believe it! My husband sprayed the hole..bee comes out..dies...sweet! then upon closer inspection..I found 2 more holes in my deck..should I fill these holes ASAP to kill any future carpenter bees?

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a355/godricsgirl/0425091922a_0001.jpg?t=1240754508 (broken link)

the hole on the left is the actual bee damage..the one on the right isn't a hole it's just part of the wood..I think that's why I didn't notice the hole..I saw it as a dark spot on the wood

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a355/godricsgirl/0425091922_0001.jpg?t=1240754208 (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2009, 08:23 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,259,218 times
Fill the holes. Make sure the wood is painted or treated in some way, naked wood is what they relish. Replace wood that has been badly infested. We also find spray works well. It doesn't always kill them but if you can hit the bees with the spray it seems to scare them off.

Carpenter bees cause a lot of damage, but worse are the woodpeckers who will peck on your house once insects get into the wood.

Other bees are just fine, though.

Old 04-27-2009, 04:56 PM

11,356 posts, read 11,090,541 times
I had carpenter bees doing a number on my steps in Illinois, amazing. I'd spray get rid of one, the next day I'd come out to another little pile of sawdust. Someone finally told me to paint the underside of the steps. I lived in a controlled environment tried to tell the office to paint the underside of a heavy duty wood, 2 car, carport/shed and they wouldn't listen.

I sold the place, told the people to watch for carpenter bees and they looked at me like I had 2 heads. Hope the 3 season porch (9' x 15') on top of the deck doesn't collapse when the bees start on the underside of the deck!!! I did tell them!

Old 04-27-2009, 07:19 PM

haa haa!! I didn't see a carpenter bee for 2 days..then I saw another little bastard...i sat there just waiting to enter his/her little home they'd made for themself...he/she finally disappeared up in there..my husband sprayed the crap out of the cubby hole..she fell out..and THEN FLEW AWAY!!!...ugh..we're gonna stain it here in the next week or so..so hopefully they'll stop eating my deck

Old 04-27-2009, 08:39 PM

23,916 posts, read 31,144,740 times
My son and his friend grab their tennis rackets and nail the suckers whenever one comes hovering near. They killed 20 in one weekend!

I hate those darn things.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:21 PM

1,806 posts, read 4,995,133 times
I happen to like our Carpenter Bees...we name them Alfred I, II, III...

However, like everyone else, I do not appreciate the damage that can be done. After discovering what my "flying dog" actually was (the males do not sting, not having the ability...but are curious, come right up and happily follow me around the yard) I researched all the deterents...PAINT. New paint. They don't like it. Polyurethane...REALLY don't like that. Wood sealer...you get the idea.

Also, another even more nutty person online experimented with offering soft wood alternatives for the critters and swore Mama Buzz dug in there instead. Pine, not Cedar. ;)
Hey...other bees like 'bee boxes'...so I'm going to try that myself with some bamboo, twine and Gorilla Glue.

In the meantime I keep checking for new holes under the porch and eaves - they do not eat my deck (treated wood), have not found any since last year when we filled/repainted...but the bees are here, so something somewhere nearby is being chewed up for shelter.

Old 04-28-2009, 06:00 AM

1,005 posts, read 4,947,460 times
I'm with you! I hate those destructive little $%&! I've had them now for 3 years. I'm out there every Spring with a fly swatter killing them. I have a wood fence and deck. I sprayed the fence, still get them. I've used the recommended powder posion DRIONE to fill the holes . but they still come back. So I just go around killing them with a fly swatter. Good luck. If you find something that works, please post it.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:15 AM

do you have a gigantic fly swatter? good lord those things are huge!!! lol

Old 04-28-2009, 07:53 AM

1,005 posts, read 4,947,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma77 View Post
do you have a gigantic fly swatter? good lord those things are huge!!! lol
I know it! My friend says to use a tennis racket instead.. I might get more that way! Sounds plausible to me.

Old 04-29-2009, 07:22 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,060,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janecj View Post
I know it! My friend says to use a tennis racket instead.. I might get more that way! Sounds plausible to me.
LOL, and you'll get some exercise, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden