U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How is the Topsy Turvy?
Good- It has worked out well for me! 1 33.33%
Bad- How is it still on the market? 2 66.67%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 07:17 AM

6,993 posts, read 12,431,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trallala View Post
Actually, the more I think about it, this actually sounds like the best idea for me. Essentially, that is what I'm wanting to accomplish. I will look around and see about finding a whiskey barrel. I already have a 5 gallon bucket since we just recently painted our house's exterior. And, yes, I would be surprised! Thanks muchly to all of you!!!!
There are some farm supply places, around here anyway, and some greenhouses that sell half whiskey barrels. Haven't seen whole barrels in quite a while. One of the last times I saw whole ones for sale, it was for double what I paid for mine. The store owner explained while. For one reason, his had a plug in the hole in the side. That keeps it from drying the wood out. Number two was the fact that there was still a quart to a quart and a half of prime Jack in his barrels (I did see that stamped on the bottom) still inside. He was selling more to people wanting to make peach brandy than using it for gardening! lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 01:05 AM

3 posts, read 2,103 times
Thumbs down "Topsy Turvy" & "Upsy Downsy" planters EXTREMELY inaccurate...

Note "photos" on displays, showing how your plants & fruit will be. Do you see how the leaves & stems on the sides & bottoms are all facing DOWNWARD, growing AWAY from the sun & AGAINST gravity?. Of course, when I bought mine, I didn't think about it until my brother & dad laughed at me & asked how I could have been so easily conned, having been brought up on a farm... In addition, there was insufficient lighting for normal growth except on the top of the planter, as any normal flower pot, so no side fruit proliferation. They're TERRIBLE!!!

Old 03-24-2011, 10:00 AM

34,859 posts, read 43,017,043 times
LOL, I figure the two tomatoes I got cost about $30. each. I found that the hanging basket shaded the plant from the sun too much.

Old 05-28-2012, 06:39 PM

1 posts, read 576 times
I use 5 gal. plastic buckets with great success. I buried the buckets so the top is about an inch above ground level. I drilled 5 one inch holes in the bottoms before burying. Buried planters require a lot less weeding, don't dry out as fast, and need much less watering. First year is the work to bury them. I currently have 17 buried and grow tomatoes, pole beans, squash, cucumbers, bell peppers etc. Remember to feed them. I put them near my fence line so there not in the way of yard traffic. Installrd a dripper irrigation system and wouldn't consider going back to the old tiller method. Try it. You'll wonder why you didn't before!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or