U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How is the Topsy Turvy?
Good- It has worked out well for me! 1 33.33%
Bad- How is it still on the market? 2 66.67%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 07:10 PM

44 posts, read 109,649 times

Advertisements

I've been bugging my husband about getting the topsy turvy to grow tomatoes, cucumbers, bell peppers... but I want to make sure that it's a worthwhile investment. We live in an HOA community that doesn't allow produce, but I think I'll be fine with the topsy turvy since nothing is rooting in the ground. But, please, let me know if you have one and if it has worked out well for you... or not. Thanks!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 07:38 AM

4,507 posts, read 7,828,129 times
I've heard that people like them but I'd never pay for one as they seem rather flimsy. You can make one yourself but they would be better suited for the back yard.

How To Make An Upside Down Tomato Planter Curbly | DIY Design Community Keywords: gardening, inverted, tomato, planter

upside down tomato plant

I think the 5 gallon bucket is the right size, especially if you want to plant some annuals in the top. You'll need a VERY strong support pole for this. You could also paint/decorate the bucket but it would still be pretty obvious that it's a bucket.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:15 AM

10,148 posts, read 16,735,602 times
I am planning to get one, though I am also going to have to shell out for a big heavy hook since I don't have a suitable place to hang it from.

Do you plant only one tomato/pepper plant per topsy-turvy?

Old 04-28-2009, 04:20 PM

45 posts, read 27,640 times
I've been using a 5gal paint bucket for 25 years. cut a hole in the bottm...the idea is a great one.....near perfect 'maders.

Old 04-28-2009, 06:08 PM

4,507 posts, read 7,828,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudevan View Post
I've been using a 5gal paint bucket for 25 years. cut a hole in the bottm...the idea is a great one.....near perfect 'maders.
Aw, I bet you wish you'd patented the idea and given it a cute name like 'Topsy Turvy', lol. I am glad to hear it's a tried and true method though.

Old 04-29-2009, 06:34 PM

the main reason that I am interested in the topsy turvy idea is because I am not by any means a skilled planter and I honestly just want something that allows me to water it maybe once- twice a day and every so often needs fertilizer. Plus, I want to share the fruits of my labours with my neighbors. But I was driving around yesterday and saw a few of them hanging from oak trees and the like and they seemed to be blossoming nicely...

Old 04-29-2009, 07:25 PM

13,518 posts, read 29,464,086 times
I seen a knock off brand one today at Wal-Mart called "Upsy Downsy", lol. It was less than $10.

Old 04-29-2009, 07:28 PM

6,971 posts, read 12,385,235 times
Trallala, just get some kind of planter on your patio, deck, or whatever. In one planter you can "plant a salad"! Leaf lettuce, radishes, carrots. Not sure if it was this thread or another one about the Topsy Turvy, find someplace that sells half whiskey barrels. You'd be surprised what all you can plant in one. I'm not against the Topsy Turvy. I have several friends who have used a 5 gallon bucket for years.

Old 04-30-2009, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
Trallala, just get some kind of planter on your patio, deck, or whatever. In one planter you can "plant a salad"! Leaf lettuce, radishes, carrots. Not sure if it was this thread or another one about the Topsy Turvy, find someplace that sells half whiskey barrels. You'd be surprised what all you can plant in one. I'm not against the Topsy Turvy. I have several friends who have used a 5 gallon bucket for years.
Actually, the more I think about it, this actually sounds like the best idea for me. Essentially, that is what I'm wanting to accomplish. I will look around and see about finding a whiskey barrel. I already have a 5 gallon bucket since we just recently painted our house's exterior. And, yes, I would be surprised! Thanks muchly to all of you!!!!

Old 05-01-2009, 02:14 AM

855 posts, read 2,125,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudevan View Post
The plastic the Topsy Turvy's are made of will probably degrade long before that paint bucket as well.

Trallala, tomatoes can easily be grown in containers but make sure you fit the cultivar to the container. Some tomatoes grow to only 3-4 feet, others 6-8. More space for larger plants and their root systems is a plus and if you want to place it on concrete, make sure you raise it so heat transfer doesn't become an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or