U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2009, 07:42 AM

909 posts, read 2,852,910 times

Advertisements

We have these bushes all over our property. During the winter all the leaves were curled up and brown. Lately I've noticed that most of the leaves are nice and green. BUT, a good portion, usually on top, is still curled up and brown. Are they dead? Dormant? On close inspection I see that a single branch will have both nice green leaves and curled brown ones. The odd thing is that the brown leaves aren't dried up, just brownish orange.

Should I cut these off? Wait a while longer? None of the bushes have bloomed yet. But I notice that in the brown areas the buds are brown as well
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 08:17 AM

2,954 posts, read 10,998,013 times
They may have suffered some cold damage in the winter which caused the leaves to brown. I wouldn't do anything to them at all, especially now that they are in bud. Rhododendrons are not a particularly attractive shub. Beautiful when they flower, but otherwise lanky and gawky. They don't seem to require much care or pruning.

In Seattle there are gazillions of them. Some varieties started blooming about 10 days ago and more of them are blooming every day, yours should probably flower soon.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:57 AM

22,472 posts, read 21,502,648 times
Anything that is brown is dead and you can clip off the leaves or branches now or wait until after bloom, no hurry. Any annual pruning for size or shape would be done right after flowering. Mine haven't bloomed yet either. I have one Rhododendron out by the road and trimmed off the dead branches so that it didn't look too bad.

Old 04-29-2009, 12:43 PM

1,216 posts, read 5,024,350 times
mine are in full bloom now... so sad that the 'bloom time' on these are so short... we had a very windy past few days, and many of the flowers blew off.

I do not trim mine often, but will do so when the flowers are gone.

I too have heard that the time to trim is after blooming, not in the Fall or Winter.

Old 04-30-2009, 05:36 AM

4,200 posts, read 12,058,166 times
I inherited a sad-looking Rhododentron and spent the first year trimming it back, sacrificing any of its meager attempts at blooming for that year and the next, but by the third year it was looking much better. It also experienced some browning after each winter, and I just clipped those parts off once spring arrived -- since those parts were dead, there was no effect on the rest of the bush and the healthy parts grew and bloomed.

Old 04-30-2009, 05:44 AM

5,065 posts, read 13,209,396 times
I have been waiting for someone to post this very question, several of my rhododendrons have curled up brown leaves this spring. We had an ice storm this winter, and I attributed the problem to that. But a few older people I know with rhododendrons that are decades old with the same problem have insisted it's a disease, but I don't think it is. Some of their rhododendrons turned brown and died entirely this winter, which was a real shame because they must have been 12 feet tall, and very, very thick and lush. (mine are never lanky either, maybe it's a regional thing?) Once the buds on mine have bloomed, I'm going to trim off the dead leaves. I usually trim most of mine back in late spring anyway, that's the best time to do so. Regular pruning will help keep them from getting "lanky" if that's a problem in some areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden