U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2009, 09:12 PM

1,122 posts, read 1,966,797 times

Advertisements

I wish I had taken a picture but I hope that the description helps..

I am wondering if anyone might be able to tell me what type of worm (or larva, or parasite) I found in my garden. The thing looked like a short root but upon closer look, it was a very white, segmented worm thing with a brown flat slanted face and what looked like maybe a stinger out the back end. It was three to four inches long and relatively fat with no legs. I did not know if it was a good one or a bad one but I squished it just in case. I'd hate to be killing them if they are good worms or not if they are parasites. We've been squishing our June beetle grubs and I know what those are and they aren't it.

Anyway, I have been digging in the dirt since toddlerhood but have never come across these.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 08:58 AM

1,985 posts, read 5,862,848 times
Thats a hard one to tell without a picture. A couple that come to mind for me is I have seen cutworms almost that big. Another is this huge moth that usually lives in trees, but in different parts of the country I have seen them in the ground mostly in flower beds. Maybe look them up on the internet for pictures.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:46 AM

They aren't cut worms. I have seem them before...I can cut out (no pun intended) army worms, earthworms, wireworms, leaf rollers, and June bug grubs. I thought about taking a picture but actually had just starting digging in the garden and figured I'd come across more. So far I have not. What I'm afraid of is that I squished something rare that I could have found a new home for.

They look similar to squash vine borers but are bigger with flatter segments and very very white.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:53 AM

5,826 posts, read 8,459,169 times
It is indeed a shame that you killed it just because you didn't know what it was.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
It is indeed a shame that you killed it just because you didn't know what it was.

It was about a dozen shovelful's into the garden and I wasn't about to stop to try and figure it out. With pets and kids running aroundd, in the moment I didn't want to take my chances, even to put it into a bucket nearby as every little thing is my three year old son's friend "Buggie." Especially with a stinger off the back end. Also only saw a couple june bug grubs by then and probability in my mind of running into another soon. Since we haven't done much digging around here I did not know. Sometimes it's better to be safe than sorry. I just wonder if it was a rare moth or something...but whats with the stinger then?

Old 05-12-2009, 02:22 AM

57 posts, read 150,629 times
Please look find a picture of.... Tomato horn-worm ,with/without parasites.

Old 05-12-2009, 03:16 AM

2,255 posts, read 4,795,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huski View Post
Please look find a picture of.... Tomato horn-worm ,with/without parasites.
I really don't think this is what she described. Tomato horn worms don't live under the ground.

Old 05-12-2009, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flik_becky View Post
I wish I had taken a picture but I hope that the description helps..

I am wondering if anyone might be able to tell me what type of worm (or larva, or parasite) I found in my garden. The thing looked like a short root but upon closer look, it was a very white, segmented worm thing with a brown flat slanted face and what looked like maybe a stinger out the back end. It was three to four inches long and relatively fat with no legs. I did not know if it was a good one or a bad one but I squished it just in case. I'd hate to be killing them if they are good worms or not if they are parasites. We've been squishing our June beetle grubs and I know what those are and they aren't it.

Anyway, I have been digging in the dirt since toddlerhood but have never come across these.
Well, I'm going to take a wild stab at it here. When I google words like "white grub with whip tail or stingers" all I get are fishing lurse, bait and tackle phots. So here's a list of photos. I have found nothing as far as a grub with any kind of stinger or whip like tail. You obviously know what most of the June & May beetle larva look like with the character C-Shaped bodies, so I'll iliminate those pics.

http://www.seedquest.com/News/releases/2006/graphics/15286a.jpg (broken link)

Old 05-12-2009, 04:16 AM

MAN I wish I could find another one. These are closer. The first one is the closest. Both are more on the yellow side and the only part that was brown was the flat face part. I've searched and searched for pics but haven't found them yet. I'm beginning to wonder if's it wasn't an illegal alien. My husband gets so much stuff in from other countries for his business that it could be possible something that stowed away and made it past the immigration police. The thing was waxy and looked like and felt like a little root, except that I didn't see any chopped shovel marks. It looked too complete. It was too cold and stiff to move yet in our area. The closest thing I ever saw with such a tough skin and the same flat face was a parasite that had crawled out of the mouth of a mouse dead in a trap. It was much smaller and black though and no stinger. (I spent the rest of the day bleaching my house where ever I thought there might be droppings. Weird, it was the only mouse in the house all summer.)

Old 05-12-2009, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flik_becky View Post
MAN I wish I could find another one. These are closer. The first one is the closest. Both are more on the yellow side and the only part that was brown was the flat face part. I've searched and searched for pics but haven't found them yet. I'm beginning to wonder if's it wasn't an illegal alien. My husband gets so much stuff in from other countries for his business that it could be possible something that stowed away and made it past the immigration police. The thing was waxy and looked like and felt like a little root, except that I didn't see any chopped shovel marks. It looked too complete. It was too cold and stiff to move yet in our area. The closest thing I ever saw with such a tough skin and the same flat face was a parasite that had crawled out of the mouth of a mouse dead in a trap. It was much smaller and black though and no stinger. (I spent the rest of the day bleaching my house where ever I thought there might be droppings. Weird, it was the only mouse in the house all summer.)
The only other thing I can think of is wire worms which are the larva of click beetles. You know those beetles you put on their backs and the click until they are right side up ???

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or