U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 08:51 PM

666 posts, read 1,549,526 times
If you want it to grow taller and have a thicker trunk prune off the little shoots around the tree, it will help. The suckers prevent the main trunk from getting nutrients.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 08:51 PM

596 posts, read 1,674,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
What about this picture, does it look more like your flowers?

http://www.wildflower.org/image_arch...98_IMG0013.JPG
This photo, to me, looks spot on! But what is the name of it? The only thing the link gives away is that its a "wildflower"

Old 05-15-2009, 06:10 AM

4,179 posts, read 5,457,011 times
It looked sorta like what we used to call a "wax myrtle" til I got to the flowers/ berries. Wax myrtle berries are hard and black-blue when ripe, and the birds love 'em. Not to mention that the sap is a gnat/mosquito deterrent!

I transplanted six of them from the woods into my yard, and they grew to 20 feet - but they do put off a LOT of 'suckers' off of their roots. I also pruned them to interesting shapes while they were young - sort of like a huge bonsai - and incorporated their suckers into a massive, twisted hedge. They ended up turning my yard from a sunbleached plain into a shady nook. Most wild plants I've transplanted from SC woods take off once they are out from under the slash pines and other overbearing growth... One thing you can say about the wild plants in SC is that, given a little encouragement, they will have exuberant growth! And, unlike nonnative nursery plants, are quite at home in the heat, humidity, etc. and resist mold and disease better. That's been my experience, in spite of the books.

Old 05-15-2009, 04:17 PM

4,657 posts, read 5,360,819 times
Thanks so much for everyone's responses. This is another picture I took of the trees flowers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
My wife and I moved to the Greenville, SC area a little over two years ago. My home backs up to the woods and right after we moved in I went into the woods and dug up a young tree and replanted it in my front yard. i had no idea what it was, but thought that it was a young dogwood. Anyway, fast forward two years and while its grown some, my wife wants me to dig it up. if anyone could identify it and tell me what it will look like upon maturation, as well as expected height, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
What is this, and should I keep it?-new-home-look-misc.-pics-sophia  

Old 05-15-2009, 07:41 PM
NCN

14,084 posts, read 11,824,243 times
http://texastreeplanting.tamu.edu/tr...urelcherry.jpg

Your trees did not come up for me. Got you a picture of a cherrylaurel. Hope it helps.
I was just able to get your picture of the flowers up. That doesn't look like the picture on my post.

I have looked and looked and cannot find the plant. Hubby is looking for my wildflower identification book. But in the meantime: the suckers need to go and what are those bugs all over the plant. You said the plant was growing in the woods and it looks like some kind of laurel. That means it need acid soil and humid air and a cool place. Looks like you have it in total sunlight. It may grow there, but it will probably not thrive there.

Last edited by NCN; 05-15-2009 at 08:33 PM..

Old 05-15-2009, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
http://texastreeplanting.tamu.edu/tr...urelcherry.jpg

Your trees did not come up for me. Got you a picture of a cherrylaurel. Hope it helps.
I was just able to get your picture of the flowers up. That doesn't look like the picture on my post.
My leaves seem a little thinner, while the cherry laurel's is broader and the flowers are white, where as mine are a pinkish, light red. Does look similar though. Thank you for your help. I can't believe that no one is able to pinpoint what the heck I've planted in my front yard, after 4 pics and three pages of posts. Maybe it's not of this world?

Old 05-15-2009, 08:35 PM

8,777 posts, read 15,500,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jctx View Post
This photo, to me, looks spot on! But what is the name of it? The only thing the link gives away is that its a "wildflower"
That picture is also of Euonymus americanus. I still think that's what it is.

Euonymus americanus Fact Sheet

Old 05-15-2009, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
That picture is also of Euonymus americanus. I still think that's what it is.

Euonymus americanus Fact Sheet
upon further inspection, it looks as if you've solved the mystery. The stalk is identical. Way to go, sleuther.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:52 PM

8,777 posts, read 15,500,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
upon further inspection, it looks as if you've solved the mystery. The stalk is identical. Way to go, sleuther.
With all of those blooms it looks like you're gonna have a nice show this fall when all those hearts start to bustin'.

For it to look it's best it needs to have some afternoon shade though, like against an east or north facing wall. I'd go ahead and leave it where it is until winter though since it's already established. I have a few in pots that I started from seed but they're not old enough to bloom yet.

Old 05-16-2009, 12:18 AM

2,036 posts, read 3,051,979 times
SNL,

Yep..you nailed this one..lol..And yes, there is NOTHING wrong with including plant material taken from natural areas...which can have better genetic tendencies over "over hybridized, over crossed nursery created" plants..which may seem to "always" be superior..this way of thinking isn't always the case..ive had both growing side by side in various past landscapes..and it was the "cultured" plant specimens which croaked or required much more maintaince..and i never got plant diseases from the natives..

....The one thing anyone who desires to dig up some near by native material should remember is to only take 2 or 3 specimens of a given plant ( this advise was mostly regarding perennials, Bulbs, and grasses) in areas where removing a couple won't harm the local population..and only once from any particular area..

As for native shrub and trees..gathering seed is the recomended method for collecting and working with specimens of..as most are far more difficult to dig out and plant into a given garden situation..only a well schooled gardener should attempt moving larger plants..and only in a "rescue" situation..

This is how i myself began working with California and Plains( N.E. Kansas ) natives...and while supporting those nurseries which stock natives is something everyone should do, paying over inflated prices for something i can obtain a specimen of from just across the street is simply rediculous..ive seen places charge 6 bucks for a 6 pack of CA. poppies..i'll gather seed instead..

Anyhow, that Euonymus looks alot nicer then some of the nursery created ones..bet its far less tempermental as well..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden