Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 09:57 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,986,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Be careful going mail order. A number of the big name companies that had good reputations over the years have been bought out by the same big company and are not the quality associated with their historic name.
Tell me about it!!!!!!!!! I recently bought from Van Bourgondien, aka Blooms @Dutchbulbs.com. Van B. used to be excellent, when they were in the State of New York, now the company has moved to Virginia Beach, and there have been many changes. Anyway, I placed an order that was sent to me early March, and too early for my area. Nothing has come up! I called them and got the run around, and three e-mails later, I am still trying for them to replace the order. Beware!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 07:06 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,813,739 times
Do not, repeat, do not use Autumn Ridge Nursery. They send poor plants, some aren't even alive when you get them. Yes the prices are very good. But the trees/plants/bushes are very poor quality. And getting something replaced is a joke. I owned and ran a greenhouse and tree nursery for years so I do know about plants and their care.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:14 PM

11,048 posts, read 23,914,932 times
I don't know if Bay Laurel nursery has the trees you are looking for but they've always sent me nice vigorous plants whenever I've ordered from them. I have extremely limited choices in the nurseries who will ship to my state, though, especially nurseries which can provide low-chill varieties so there may be a better nursery for your needs.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:20 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,867,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBIES77 View Post
Tell me about it!!!!!!!!! I recently bought from Van Bourgondien, aka Blooms @Dutchbulbs.com. Van B. used to be excellent, when they were in the State of New York, now the company has moved to Virginia Beach, and there have been many changes. Anyway, I placed an order that was sent to me early March, and too early for my area. Nothing has come up! I called them and got the run around, and three e-mails later, I am still trying for them to replace the order. Beware!
Wow, glad I saw this. I recently got the catalog from this company and was rather amazed by their photos. They seemed to good to be true. LOL, maybe they were. I was actually thinking of making a trip down to VA Beach just to see these humongous, ultra perfect blooms. The catalog looked so amazing, I figured it was probably worth driving a few hours.

Old 05-21-2009, 08:29 PM

1,791 posts, read 6,498,854 times
I live in Va Beach myself and I emailed them and have no retail outlet to buy plants. I ended up paying $7 for shipping - in my own city. Otherwise the plant shipment I received was fine. That was my experience.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:21 PM

224 posts, read 687,262 times
I suggest mentioning your concerns to the ebay store suggested in a latter post. The thing with ebay is, if you get a bad plant, tree, etc... you can always leave negative feedback for that store. and trust me ebay stores do not want negative feedback of any kind. You can also tell the ebay store you will leave negative feedback if they do not hold up their end of the deal before you even buy from them...

Old 05-21-2009, 10:44 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,118,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suemandy23 View Post
I suggest mentioning your concerns to the ebay store suggested in a latter post. The thing with ebay is, if you get a bad plant, tree, etc... you can always leave negative feedback for that store. and trust me ebay stores do not want negative feedback of any kind. You can also tell the ebay store you will leave negative feedback if they do not hold up their end of the deal before you even buy from them...
Having bought plants on eBay, the only problem I have found is that they bloom a different color than expected. Most users on eBay are also traders on certain gardening forum websites. They have a pretty good reputation, but sometimes accidents will happen. There are others who just flat out lie. There is no purple brugmansia, only datura.

Old 05-22-2009, 10:35 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,330,574 times
Hirt's has been good for me too...great customer service.

I've bought from Hirt's through Amazon.com. There are several good sellers of trees and plants there. You can check a seller's feedback to see how reputable they are. I like Amazon's feedback service better than eBay's. Amazon doesnt allow sellers to leave feedback for buyers so buyers can be as honest as necessary without worrying about retaliation feedback.

Old 05-22-2009, 11:40 AM

13,630 posts, read 20,700,561 times
I recently had a good experience with Stokes Tropicals in Louisiana.

Old 05-28-2009, 01:32 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,888,481 times
I ordered 24 plants from FarmerSeeds.com back in late March'09 and have not yet receive my plants today on May 28th, 2009.

I called back in April and they said they shipped it out on April 7th, but I said I never did received it.

They said that I'll have to wait 30 days then call back again then they can resubmit a re-ship order.

I called back on May 8th, and they said the order is submitted. A week later I called and asked what's the status? They said I need to wait at least 2 weeks to allow them to ship. So I called back today and the story changed. Now I'll have wait 3~4 weeks before they ship.

I was getting frustrated at this point, so I said I'd like to cancel my order and get my money back. They said if I want to cancel I'll have to tell them NOW, so they can submit a cancellation order, BUT I'll have to write a letter and send it to their HQ and wait for them to process to get my refund.

I said you guys charged to my CC as soon as I ordered the plants but now ~2 months later I have not receive my plants, apparently you have not even process the shipping order yet, and I have to write a letter to your HQ and wait however gawd-knows how long before I can get my money back? At this point, she get short-tempered and literally snapped at me saying that's how they do things, etc.

Avoid FarmerSeeds.com, I think they also operate under different names as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden