U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2009, 08:32 PM

2,560 posts, read 5,047,541 times

Advertisements

One of mine isn't looking so good. Time will tell.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 08:47 PM

413 posts, read 1,189,592 times
The Walgreen's in my area has them.

I have an apartment that has a balcony. I don't have a huge area to work in so thought this might be a good thing. I may try it to see.

Old 08-17-2009, 12:43 AM

16,487 posts, read 20,328,308 times
There is a house I drive by everyday that has one of those Topsy Turvy tomato platers on the front porch. It has the most pathetic scraggly looking tomato plant hanging from it.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:02 AM

3 posts, read 8,554 times
Default Topsy-Turvey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayVillage View Post
We planted one a month ago and its not looking too good..... followed the directions to the letter too.

We live on Cape Cod. I bought 2 of them. Have you tried Miracle grow tomato food? I also used a burpee bud setting spray on my plants becasue the buds were falling off. I found I have to water my plants more frequently than what the manufacturing instructions suggest.

I don't know where you live. But my mom lives in New Hampshire and her tomato plants have died. She heard it was caused by too much rain in the northeast. The rain was leaching nitrogen out of the soil. Now I don't think that would be a problem with the topsy-turvey, the nitrogen would have to stay in the planter. But make sure you are watering it even when it is raining outside.

Cowgirl

Old 08-19-2009, 05:13 AM

2,160 posts, read 6,536,426 times
I did upside down tomatoes last year using 5 gal buckets. MUCH cheaper then the topsy turvys and work just as well. You can even plant other things in the bucket after it is hung.

Look on Craigslist...someone is usually getting rid of buckets. You need to cut a hole in the bucket but oterhwise the workload is pretty small.

Now then...the results were not anything better then my tomatoes in the ground. Really what I saved was space.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:14 AM

2 posts, read 9,294 times
Default Please Help, Tomato Plant Issues

Can anyone tell me if this is normal or not? I was given the "Topsy Turvy" for mothers day. It is now Sept. 1st and I am starting to see a little tomato growing. The stem is having some issues though, It is brown, bumpy and some spots have tiny holes. Also on one side of the plant there seems to be yellow stems and brown leaves. I have some pictures to show you what I mean. Is this normal? Can I eat the tomato if it actually makes it? Please help!! I attached some pictures but here are all of the pictures I took. I just didn't want to load this post with pictures.

http://yfrog.com/04tomato007jx
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone had luck with the "Topsy Turvy" tomato plant thing?-tomato-015.jpg   Anyone had luck with the "Topsy Turvy" tomato plant thing?-tomato-014.jpg   Anyone had luck with the "Topsy Turvy" tomato plant thing?-tomato-007.jpg  

Last edited by Crisitnm; 09-01-2009 at 08:22 AM.. Reason: Fixed the link to the pictures.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:21 AM

5,489 posts, read 6,211,928 times
My plant looked very similar to yours. I was very disappointed with the results of using a Topsy-Turvy.

I used the "Early Girl" tomato plant. The plant got 8-9 hours of sun a day. I used miracle grow water retention soil, used some miracle grow plant food. It seemed like I had to water the plant every day, because the leaves would curl up unless I watered.

I ended up with about 8 "cherry-tomato" sized tomato's. My father in-law planted his plant about the same time in normal ground and he had huge tomato's and plenty of them. He is still bringing me tomato's while my plant is now just a dead leafless vine. (I live in South Carolina).

Old 09-17-2009, 09:14 AM

2 posts, read 9,294 times
I haven't met anyone who has had a good experience with this. It's very disappointing!

Old 09-21-2009, 05:07 PM

27,236 posts, read 40,261,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livesintriangle View Post
Anyone know where we can get these locally? I heard Walgreens, but the one I checked didn't have it.
Got mine at Home Depot. Broke the stem on the tomato trying to plant it. The green pepper plant did great for a while. Then all the leaves started falling off, and it looks like it's dead.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:42 PM

2,178 posts, read 4,709,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MICoastieMom View Post
Totally clever, and would free up my containers for other plants. I see from another post that those viney cherry and pear tomato plants work this way too. Do you find you get less damage from slugs this way? I have some monsters here and I am always on the lookout for natural/organic ways to outsmart them; dirty little buggers!
diatomaceous earth is a nontoxic remedy for slugs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden