U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2009, 09:25 PM

549 posts, read 1,800,069 times

Advertisements

Question: How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?
Answer: My woodpile.

Woodchucks, I got 'em, don't want 'em. Big fat ones in a huge burrow under my woodpile. I tried a sulphur stink bomb called Revenge...they came back. Last summer I shot them with a pellet gun. They just looked at me like, hey dude, what'd you do that for. I finally chased them off with a combination of noise, harassment and throwing cordwood at them. Now they've moved back into their old burrow.

Any better ideas? (no shooting)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 08:11 PM

1,238 posts, read 3,966,233 times
A pair of rat terriers.

Old 06-17-2009, 11:54 AM

263 posts, read 648,687 times
you can live trap them and take them far away, but that just puts the problem on someone else. and, i don't know if you are aware that they really breed and you will be overrun if you leave them be.
we have a terrier who eats woodchucks for breakfast, lunch and dinner. maybe i should rent him out? he also gets the raccoons who tear down my bird feeders. and the varmints that get after my chickens.
i say a good dog.

Old 06-17-2009, 05:07 PM

3,720 posts, read 4,440,066 times
Right now I'm using floating row covers to hide the veggies my woodchucks have been eating. Yesterday was day one with this method and declared a success! This afternoon it had eatern two very big leaves off of my watermelon plant which was uncovered. I didn't know they liked them. Anyway I've covered those too now. I haven't checked the garden again today, but if the rows are undisturbed when I check tomorrow morning, day two can be marked as another success. Wish me luck!

Old 06-17-2009, 10:24 PM

21,338 posts, read 7,356,355 times
If they get a chance, they will come in and clean your plants off at the soil line. They just chew them in half and move on. They're vegetarians and nothing more than an oversized rat imo. Disgusting things. One year, they wiped out my neighbors garden 30 x 30 in one hour!!!! That's all they left for... the neighbors... one hour!!!

My staffordshire bull dog used to run and catch them and my two corgi/mixes would catch up to him and they'd all have a limb. They'd tear that nasty thing to pieces alive! GROSS! But MUCH better than having your garden destroyed.

How come a pellet gun is okay, but not a 22 shell to the head????? That's how we got rid of the one my neighbor scared away with the stink bomb... slept with the bedroom window open about 4". DH got up at 4:30 as the sun was coming up... watched that sucker start chewin' on my pea pods... and then all you heard was 'Kerplunk'!!! lololol Thing went right over backwards with his arms spread out. He never knew what hit him. Problem solved.

Old 06-18-2009, 03:44 AM

3,720 posts, read 4,440,066 times
Day two is a success! I just covered my two cucumber plants that are well along as I figure he'd come back and try to snack on them today. I only have my three squash plants and one cuc that I transplanted uncovered. Oh, and the corn is not covered. Hopefully they don't like corn.

Old 06-18-2009, 04:52 AM

261 posts, read 838,975 times
Default Win the battle and the war..

We have a first year garden in and have installed an electric solar powered fence. I am unable to say what has worked yet, as all of our plants are babies still. I will keep you posted though. I do have a back up BB gun, and 2 dogs that we are training to stay within the electric fence line as we used their regular fenced yard as one side of the electric fence with one gate opening into the electric fenced portion. We hope the smell of the dogs and their general presence will deter many of our plants potential predators. Now if I could only keep the cows out of the landscaping, thatís another thread, lol.

Old 06-18-2009, 06:10 AM

128 posts, read 555,351 times
Default Electric Fence

People imagine this huge structure when you suggest an electric fence. We used one for a racoon problem. It consisted of one wire about 9 inches off the ground. When my husband first saw such a fence he expressed doubt such a small device would work. The NH farm boy simply said, "Racoons can't jump."

Try it.

Old 06-18-2009, 06:18 AM

261 posts, read 838,975 times
Default Good fences make good gardens

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbbet View Post
People imagine this huge structure when you suggest an electric fence. We used one for a racoon problem. It consisted of one wire about 9 inches off the ground. When my husband first saw such a fence he expressed doubt such a small device would work. The NH farm boy simply said, "Racoons can't jump."

Try it.
Ours was pretty easy to install, READ ALL DIRECTIONS FIRST, lol. We read them after and had to move a few things, like the ground wire and post. Copper wire is great for connection to the fence from the unit. We put in three rows of wire at different heights, we have deer, racoons, rabbits, turkeys, ground hogs, woodchucks, and much much more, lol. I feel like a general facing a huge army. I will NOT SURRENDER, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden