U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2009, 11:03 AM

2,623 posts, read 4,011,009 times

Advertisements

Hi all! A few weeks ago, my wife filled a hanging flower pot with some potting soil and planted cherry tomato seeds in it and forgot about it. I got sick of looking at it, so this morning I thinned out the plants and watered it really good and hung it in the sun. Now, I've got a 12" wide hanging pot with about a dozen 3" tall plants. I was going to wait until the got a bit bigger, then transplant some to 2 or 3 other pots and hope for the best. Any advice for a novice gardener on what to do with these, or is it too late for them already? I REALLY want to have some fresh grown cherry tomatos in my salad later this years! Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 11:52 AM

4,249 posts, read 8,142,796 times
Cherry tomato plants are the least capricious, will grow even if you don't pay attention. You can replant them into your garden, I'm sure they will keep growing.

One fall, I threw the last rotting cherry tomatoes into a compost pile. The next spring, there were several tomato plants growing on my compost, from those tiny seeds that were laying outside in the frost throughout the winter. Absolutely unpretentious plant.

Old 05-30-2009, 12:07 PM

24,671 posts, read 58,430,951 times
I don't know in which growing zone you reside but cherry tomatoes are basically very hardy. Now that you've thinned them out and watered them, give them a week or so to adjust and then cull them again. A 12" pot is good for one, so then transplant the rest in individual containers. Good soil and compost keeps them very happy.

Old 05-30-2009, 01:49 PM

895 posts, read 2,550,718 times
Leave some in the pot and they most likely will trail like regular trailing flowers, I have some in window boxes that do well...Just give them room and water and watch them grow..If they are in the ground or pots besure to put cages in there when you plant..
Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden