U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 07:00 PM

5,059 posts, read 7,006,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugguy View Post
Nobody told my poison ivy that Round Up wouldn't kill it!! I totally eradicated all traces of it in a 2 year period on 9 acres of forest using nothing but Round Up, applied at the label rate.
I just sprayed a whole bed of weeds that included poison ivy with Roundup. The only thing left standing is the poison ivy. If Roundup works on poison ivy, why did they just come out with a new formulation that claims to actually kill the stuff? "Regular" Roundup may work after many applications, but I fear I just made my poison ivy stronger by killing all of its competitors in that area. Fortunately I will be pulling it out tomorrow. I used to work in landscaping, and when we had to get rid of someone's poison ivy, we had to pull it up by hand (after charging lots of money). Thick gloves, thick shirts and labor is how we did it. It was the only way to get the roots. (Although I must admit, we did not have two years to make our clients happy - two years worth of Roundup may actually do it) We DID use Roundup to kill grass and weeds, though. Works like a charm!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 07:27 PM

48,526 posts, read 75,136,468 times
I used Roundup brush spray for killing poison Ivy and Oak many times Worked great.I used the consentrate and mixed according to direct. Got rid of it all in sevral locations.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:29 PM

23,782 posts, read 34,792,652 times
The information posted stating the Roundup is a broad leaf only weed killer is completely wrong. I have no idea where this person got their information, but they have posted it more than once.

Roundup will kill damn near anything.

If you can't spray it for any reason get a small paintbrush and paint it on. This holds true for any product like this.

Wear gloves!!!!

Old 06-22-2009, 08:14 PM

3,388 posts, read 5,170,068 times
Last time I dealt with poison ivy, I wrapped my whole body (neck to toes) in saran wrap, then put on disposable clothes (purchased at the goodwill for $1/long sleeve tshirt, and $3 for cammo pants), latex (Dr style) gloves, socks, and combat boots, wrapped in plastic bags.

Dug it all up down to the tiny tiny roots, (anywhere from 3-5 foot down) and bagged the whole plant up and let it sit for a few months then burned it up. Went inside into the garage, and stripped down to nothing, then washed off with Technu (specialty soap that neutralizes the oil that causes the rash), and I never even got one lil bump.

A nice bonus was that I was sweating like CRAZY and lost a few pounds!

Now, I am not allergic to it anymore, but I just swapped that allergy to wasps/bees/hornets; go figure.

Old 06-23-2009, 04:51 AM

5,059 posts, read 7,006,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I used Roundup brush spray for killing poison Ivy and Oak many times Worked great.I used the consentrate and mixed according to direct. Got rid of it all in sevral locations.
I think it must come down to which Roundup you use, and how you mix it. The ready-to-use version in a pump spray bottle did nothing to my poison ivy, and I soaked the stuff with it. I also accidentally hit a tiny azalea with the stuff pretty good. The azalea is fine two weeks later. The key must be to get the brush/poison ivy killer, and mixing your own might help as well. The directions on the concentrate allow for different strength mixes, so a stronger mix is probably good.

Today, I am just going to suit up and pull the poison ivy by hand. There isn't that much of it, and now I can easily see it as everything around it is dead (from my previous application of RoundUp).

Old 06-23-2009, 11:10 AM

23,782 posts, read 34,792,652 times
There is a specific version of Roundup for Poison Ivy/Oak. I buy it as a matter of course because it seems to knock out everything I spray with it. I do not (thank heavens) have Poison Ivy/Oak, but I sure get a lot of other weeds.

Old 05-22-2014, 02:50 PM

14 posts, read 24,615 times
I have used round up brush killer for poison ivy and oak. It worked very well in the sunny locations but not in the shady areas. When I was a kid, 100 years ago, there was a foam in a spray can that would kill it in the shade. I have not been able to find it now. If anyone out there knows what it's called and where I can get it please advise.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:38 PM

4,195 posts, read 5,237,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTap View Post
Round-up is for broad leaf weeds only and won't kill poison ivy.
Kills it deader than a hammer in my yard. Just plain old Roundup. In the shade.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:47 PM

13,906 posts, read 9,972,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTap View Post
Round-up is for broad leaf weeds only and won't kill poison ivy.

The best weed killer that is organic and in every home is hydrogen-peroxide. It works by bleaching the leaves and stopping photosynthesis.

There are other methods as well, such as applying lime and improving the quality of the soil so that other grasses and legumes are more prolific then poison ivy. It is simply a matter of stressing the poison ivy while making the soil ideal for the plants you want to take over.

Shade is another concern. Poison ivy likes partial shade, so removing the overstory can reduce poison ivy as well. Of course the latter methods only work over a year or so of time. Not good if you want it gone now.

Of course my method is also low tech, free, organic compliant and eradicates poison ivy in a matter of hours...I put my sheep on it which prefer poison ivy.
I might as well tell you, too: Roundup is for everything. 2-4-D is for broadleaf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
Last time I dealt with poison ivy, I wrapped my whole body (neck to toes) in saran wrap, then put on disposable clothes (purchased at the goodwill for $1/long sleeve tshirt, and $3 for cammo pants), latex (Dr style) gloves, socks, and combat boots, wrapped in plastic bags.

Dug it all up down to the tiny tiny roots, (anywhere from 3-5 foot down) and bagged the whole plant up and let it sit for a few months then burned it up. Went inside into the garage, and stripped down to nothing, then washed off with Technu (specialty soap that neutralizes the oil that causes the rash), and I never even got one lil bump.

A nice bonus was that I was sweating like CRAZY and lost a few pounds!

Now, I am not allergic to it anymore, but I just swapped that allergy to wasps/bees/hornets; go figure.
Burning poison ivy is extremely and exceptionally dangerous. Don't do it again. It can infiltrate your lungs and kill you dead!

Old 05-22-2014, 11:04 PM

14,962 posts, read 14,147,100 times
I seem to remember a similar thread from last year about this time. Oh! It was me asking the question! Round Up worked.

POISON IVY--Round Up didn't work
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden