U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 11:23 AM

4,367 posts, read 5,376,624 times

Advertisements

It is worth noting that sometimes, depending on the time of year and the outside temperature, it takes the Roundup maybe up to a week to start showing that it's killing, especially on waxy-leaved things. It works more quickly when applied on a sunshiny, hot day. But eventually, the ivy will die.

I sprayed it on this waxy-leaved, thorny vine that comes up all over my yard....it's been about 3 weeks, and just today I saw that the leaves are turning brown. I was about to give up and cut it, but I try to avoid that, as it just comes right back up....used Roundup to hopefully kill it all the way to the roots.

I eradicated a bunch of Japanese honeysuckle on my chain-link fence when I first moved here by cutting the vines close to the ground and putting a few drops of Roundup on the cut surface. Never came back.

I see the original post was in 2009, but there is still some good info in this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2014, 05:13 PM

11,238 posts, read 10,036,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTap View Post
Round-up is for broad leaf weeds only and won't kill poison ivy.

The best weed killer that is organic and in every home is hydrogen-peroxide. It works by bleaching the leaves and stopping photosynthesis.

There are other methods as well, such as applying lime and improving the quality of the soil so that other grasses and legumes are more prolific then poison ivy. It is simply a matter of stressing the poison ivy while making the soil ideal for the plants you want to take over.

Shade is another concern. Poison ivy likes partial shade, so removing the overstory can reduce poison ivy as well. Of course the latter methods only work over a year or so of time. Not good if you want it gone now.

Of course my method is also low tech, free, organic compliant and eradicates poison ivy in a matter of hours...I put my sheep on it which prefer poison ivy.
A number of years ago, when we had a large patch of poison ivy in our woods, my DH used Round up on it and the PI was killed. I never saw any come back, although I would never had dug in the dirt in that area. I am very allergic to poison ivy. But the Round up did kill it. I don't like Round up, but for poison ivy I asked DH to use it, so I could not catch PI by accident.

Old 07-26-2014, 10:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,480 times
I have Poison Oak growing throughout my hedges if i use round up will it affect the hedges ?

Old 07-26-2014, 10:45 PM

866 posts, read 1,141,072 times
I used Ortho Poison Ivy spray this spring/summer when I had poison ivy appearing in a number of places in my yard. The single application to the leaves killed all of it and it didn't come back. I realize this isn't a homemade solution but it worked.

LOL - just saw the comment that the original post was from 2009 but apparently it was reborn.....I suppose Poison Ivy et al is always in vogue

Last edited by mzfroggez; 07-26-2014 at 10:48 PM.. Reason: update...

Old 07-27-2014, 08:25 AM

5,408 posts, read 5,716,651 times
Home made and best solution in the OP case: find someone who is not allergic and pay them to pull it out.

Scientific solution: apply an herbicide following directions closely. Round-up is non selective at a biological level, so it will kill your hedges too, unless you can carefully wipe some only on the poison ivy leaves--not likely to happen. The Ortho product does sound promising.

Old 07-27-2014, 08:37 PM

968 posts, read 1,111,968 times
Or...

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...5JM/story.html

Boston Goatscaping: goats to eat Hyde Park poison ivy

Boston deploys goats against poison ivy in Hyde Park - Videos - Boston.com

You wouldn't believe the news coverage these new employees received!

Old 07-29-2014, 01:02 PM

3,419 posts, read 3,722,325 times
I tried to contact some local farmers about employing their goats for a couple days to get at the poison ivy and English ivy in my backyard and none of them called me back. It's a shame because they'd make some good pocket money for doing nothing other than owning goats!

Old 07-29-2014, 10:26 PM

968 posts, read 1,111,968 times
Ahhhh, but you need specially-trained, city goats to do 'real' work! These goats are trained eating professionals.

Seriously, it seems easy, but there are costs and training involved: fencing, transportation, accustoming them to new environs, etc.

Without a sustainable customer base, probably not worth the famers/owner's time.

Old 07-30-2014, 04:26 AM

28,397 posts, read 34,400,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianB1966 View Post
I have Poison Oak growing throughout my hedges if i use round up will it affect the hedges ?

Yes.

Old 05-09-2017, 02:18 PM

1 posts, read 386 times
I killed my poison ivy one year with Round-up, but 1/4 of the branches on the tree nearby lost their leaves, and since it's a very big and old tree I don't want to jeopardize it again. AND, despite a heavy mulch layer laid down after the p.o. died, it has come back this year, stronger than ever. So... ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden