Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 04:39 PM

4,586 posts, read 6,293,638 times

Advertisements

"I sprayed it on this waxy-leaved, thorny vine (Greenbrier ?) that comes up all over my yard".....next time put a little dish soap in the sprayer, along with the herbicide....it cuts through a waxy coating on any plant.

I have used diesel in my sprayer before, and die back is just as good as with glyphosate (the active ingredient in round up).
Now before anyone posts how environmentally disastrous this is, consider that glyphosate is not friendly either....but at least diesel is not a Monsanto product. Concentrated Roundup is 41% glyphosate...at what, $25 a quart, it is no bargain, the glyphosate link above shows 2.5 gallons of 41% glyphosate for $18....same potency....dilute at the the same rate...it's just that you are not paying for the horrendous Monsanto name.

Diesel, even cheaper, will not target the roots, but it does knock the plant back and will deprive the plant of oxygen.

The key to using diesel is to wait for a hot, sunny day.

Regards
Gemstone1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2017, 05:26 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,707,739 times
The Bayer "brush killer" spray does a great job.

Old 05-10-2017, 06:04 AM

4,586 posts, read 6,293,638 times
Here is the fact sheet for Triclogen, the active ingredient in Bayer Brush Killer. Please search out the facts of any herbicide/pesticide you intend to use, to read the effects on humans and wildlife.

This Bayer product appears (to me) to be a better choice than glyphosate (fact sheet).

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 09-08-2017, 12:15 AM

1 posts, read 500 times
Please don't use round up - it poisons the earth.

Old 09-08-2017, 11:20 AM

10,076 posts, read 6,370,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by organicfreak View Post
Please don't use round up - it poisons the earth.
Sorry, but that is incorrect. You can spray RoundUp on vegetation and then plant through it the next day. it only kills the vegetation down through the roots, not the soil. I've sprayed RoundUp to take out low-growing weed cover that would kill my back to pull, and the recent prolific rains have caused lots of new weeds to spring up right back in the same areas, so I guess the areas I sprayed aren't "poisoned". Even our extension agent uses RoundUp selectively and I don't believe he's in favor of "poisoning the earth".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden