U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 01:35 PM

477 posts, read 656,326 times
Default Remedy to kill poison oak and ivy

I need a homemade cure to kill poison oak and ivy
Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 06:38 PM

1,122 posts, read 1,270,276 times
I know a little bit about poison ivy.

There is not a real good way to get rid of posion ivy plants. You can pull them...it is recommended that you wear a rubber glove inside a very thick work or winter glove. You can use herbicides. You can also put some thick mulch over them and let that sit for a few months.

In the end, you have to know how to dispose of the plant safely according to local regulations. Don't compost or burn them.

To treat the rash, in case you get one, jewelweed, sweet fern, & pine tar soap are natural ways to heal up the rash fast. Bloodroot, plantain, holy basil, menthol, gumweed, Virginia snakeroot, and chickweed are also old treatments for poison ivy. I'm making my own soap treatment taht will have 22 different natural ingrediants that will first, remove the oils from the deep in the skin (homemade lye & lard soap is good for that) second, dry it out, third, actually "cure" the poison ivy dermatitis, and fourth, sooth the itching. I sure hope is works. We've got a ton of that stuff around here too, along with an unusually large amount of thistle and ticks, especially deer ticks. A completely bad and painful combination.

I wonder if spraying them with a spray bottle full of water and jewelweed oil if that would help but that I have not heard of.

Old 06-09-2009, 07:14 PM

8,785 posts, read 22,159,751 times
If you don't want to use 2-4-D or Roundup spray (which is what I would do) you could throw boiling water on the plants, although, don't let the resulting steam mist get back on you (I have never tried this but common sense says the steam might well contain the irritant oil from the plant)

Old 06-10-2009, 03:39 AM

1,297 posts, read 2,104,845 times
Round-up is for broad leaf weeds only and won't kill poison ivy.

The best weed killer that is organic and in every home is hydrogen-peroxide. It works by bleaching the leaves and stopping photosynthesis.

There are other methods as well, such as applying lime and improving the quality of the soil so that other grasses and legumes are more prolific then poison ivy. It is simply a matter of stressing the poison ivy while making the soil ideal for the plants you want to take over.

Shade is another concern. Poison ivy likes partial shade, so removing the overstory can reduce poison ivy as well. Of course the latter methods only work over a year or so of time. Not good if you want it gone now.

Of course my method is also low tech, free, organic compliant and eradicates poison ivy in a matter of hours...I put my sheep on it which prefer poison ivy.

Old 06-10-2009, 05:13 AM

11,055 posts, read 7,827,734 times
My mother uses a vinegar/ water mixture in a spray bottle to kill weeds in the sidewalk, gutter, etc. That's inexpensive and organic and might work. I've used commercial weed killers for Ivy to kill it in the grass and in the hedge.
We had a long vine of it clinging to an aborvitae, the wooly fibrous type. I cut it off at the root and it died.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:51 AM

19,057 posts, read 21,756,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTap View Post

The best weed killer that is organic and in every home is hydrogen-peroxide. It works by bleaching the leaves and stopping photosynthesis.

There are other methods as well, such as applying lime and improving the quality of the soil so that other grasses and legumes are more prolific then poison ivy. It is simply a matter of stressing the poison ivy while making the soil ideal for the plants you want to take over.

Shade is another concern. Poison ivy likes partial shade, so removing the overstory can reduce poison ivy as well. Of course the latter methods only work over a year or so of time. Not good if you want it gone now.

Of course my method is also low tech, free, organic compliant and eradicates poison ivy in a matter of hours...I put my sheep on it which prefer poison ivy.
This is the second time I've seen you write this.

This is a patently false statement. Roundup is a broad-spectrum weed killer and is not restricted to killing only broad leaf weeds.

I think you have Roundup confused with Weed-B-Gon and it's ilk.

OP, if you are concerned about spraying a product like Roundup, then you can use a paint brush to apply. Granted it's a slower process, but you can be very specific about where the liquid goes.

Any time you mess with this type of plant be very careful about touching it. Wear heavy gloves and long sleeves. Or hire my wife. Poison Ivy and Oak don't affect her! I should be so lucky...

Old 06-10-2009, 10:17 AM

477 posts, read 656,326 times
Thanks its near my strawberries Im immune to Poison oak but my family is not Ill try the brush idea thanks

Old 06-17-2009, 07:45 AM

263 posts, read 453,238 times
Quote:

so, are you spraying regular strength hydrogen peroxide on the poison ivy then? once, or does it take more? i react so badly to the stuff.
if it would work, that would be great! we are organic farmers and can't just spray anything. alot of it is on ditch-banks along the edge of the gardens.

Old 06-18-2009, 05:41 PM

452 posts, read 1,043,485 times
We've eliminated poison oak from our front gardens by digging it up...but hubby has to do it since I'm highly reactive....HOWEVER...that doesn't stop me from getting contaminated by our cat. That's how it got me years ago, before I realized our cats were getting into it.

I think I'll try the hyd peroxide method on any new growth we find.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:06 AM

873 posts, read 787,467 times
Nobody told my poison ivy that Round Up wouldn't kill it!! I totally eradicated all traces of it in a 2 year period on 9 acres of forest using nothing but Round Up, applied at the label rate.

Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden