U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 11:20 AM

6,474 posts, read 13,406,838 times

Advertisements

OP why not leave the stink horns alone. I get these occasionally in one of my beds and I just ignore them until they die. If you use fungicide, you may be killing beneficial fungi as well. The part you see of the mushroom on top of the soil is just a tiny part of the fungus, apparently. Most of the organism lives underground, and many fungi are important for trees and plants...especially native ones.

Mycorrhizae: A description of mycorrhizae, mycorrhizal fungi and mycorrhizae productsBio Organics

Identification: Mycorrhizal Stinkhorn - UBC Botanical Garden Forums

Stinkhorns according to the discussion in the link above may be more apt to grow in heavily mulched areas. Maybe you can reduce the mulch in that area or change the type of mulch to one they're not as likely to grow in instead of using a fungicide.

Unless you have a horrible fungal infection in important plants, my advice would be to avoid spraying fungicide. If you can help it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2014, 08:42 PM

185 posts, read 182,480 times
A plant that will out do the stinkhorns is a specimen in the winter blooming Helleborus...OMG..

I'll take a stinkhorns over that any day.

In summer they smell worse than dead skunks... Even the moles hate them.. hahehahe!

Then there's the skunk yellow water lily.... Yep it smells like a skunk....

Old 10-26-2014, 09:33 PM

476 posts, read 1,039,996 times
These do originate from mulch and this is the time of year for them. Put a plastic grocery bag over your hand and dig them up. Make sure you dig up under them and get the eggs underneath. Be careful to contain the whole thing inside the plastic bag. Tie it up and dispose of it in the garbage to keep the spores from spreading. Good luck, I know it stinks.

Old 10-28-2014, 01:10 PM

13,486 posts, read 29,434,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda Annun View Post
I have been fing these on my mulch bed for the past few weeks. We have lived in Central Florida for 35 years and have never seen them before. They are disgusting and stinky. Going to try some of the suggestions from this post and hopefully something will work. UGH!
Use pine straw instead of mulch.

Old 10-29-2014, 02:43 PM

185 posts, read 182,480 times
Stinkhorn mushrooms just in time for Halloween!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden