U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-10-2009, 06:01 AM

1,508 posts, read 4,233,091 times
Question Stinkhorn mushroom problem

I have the most disgusting "thing" growing in my mulch flower beds. It smells like crap. Which I confirmed upon researching the spore on the internet.
Here is what I found on the internet.

"Mutinus caninus
Stinkhorns: frequently bewilder people by popping up in lawns, thrusting their slime-covered tips into the world within a matter of hours. They have been much maligned over the years, probably because--well, because they stink and they often look like penises (human, canine, or alien). Unlike other mushrooms, the stinkhorn distributes its spores by applying an odorous, spore-thick slime to its tip, which flies and other insects are attracted to. The flies then carry the spores to other places."

Before I lose my mind and would someone please advise me on the best way to get rid of these disgusting things. I'm taking the trip to HomeDepot but I'll wind up walking up & down the garden aisle looking for a bottle of something to kill these things. Just thought I would ask the CD experts ! Thanks for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 08:09 AM

2,256 posts, read 3,473,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHomeHappy View Post
I have the most disgusting "thing" growing in my mulch flower beds. It smells like crap. Which I confirmed upon researching the spore on the internet.
Here is what I found on the internet.

"Mutinus caninus
Stinkhorns: frequently bewilder people by popping up in lawns, thrusting their slime-covered tips into the world within a matter of hours. They have been much maligned over the years, probably because--well, because they stink and they often look like penises (human, canine, or alien). Unlike other mushrooms, the stinkhorn distributes its spores by applying an odorous, spore-thick slime to its tip, which flies and other insects are attracted to. The flies then carry the spores to other places."

Before I lose my mind and would someone please advise me on the best way to get rid of these disgusting things. I'm taking the trip to HomeDepot but I'll wind up walking up & down the garden aisle looking for a bottle of something to kill these things. Just thought I would ask the CD experts ! Thanks for your help
Okay well I'm assuming this is what you are seeing.

They just do what they do. They love mulch piles and dead wood debri, so moving these away or thoroghly wetting the pile when you make it to create that intense mulch pile heat effect might kill the spore. Anyway here are a couple of links discussing control.

HELP! Getting side of Stinkhorn mushrooms - Northern Gardening Forum - GardenWeb

How do I make stinkhorn mushrooms go away? | ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/living/content/living/homeandgarden/stories/reeves/2007/01/21/012507HGreeves.html - broken link)

http://columbia.ifas.ufl.edu/pdfs/Hort%20Column%202_10_04.pdf (broken link)

Q&A - Stinkhorn mushroom - Identification and Control

Hope these sites help.

Old 07-31-2010, 08:31 AM

3 posts, read 20,070 times
Default Get rid of stinkhorn mushrooms

After much investigation I found a fungicide I was bought on Ebay. I sprayed it down this spring and as of late July, no stinkhorns. It is: ProStar 70WDG.

Old 01-19-2011, 02:18 PM

1 posts, read 17,318 times
I had a dreadful time with these in my garden. They seem to start popping out in the begining of the cooler months. I live in the deep south, so the environment is conducive, with damp, cool air.
I found that if you use sulfur granules, sprinkled throughout the garden, it will not damage other plants and will help alkali. Hope this helps you... it helped me. Each season I repeat this application, and it seems that this process has eliminated them growing all together. It took about three seasons to completely resolve it, but I have a very large surface area to tend.

Old 01-19-2011, 02:44 PM

4,080 posts, read 2,872,350 times
I bought some "treated" bags of mulch and the next think I knew, I had my first stinkhorn....I walked my garden, which is fortunately small and I sniff, sniff, sniff. When I found one, I would dig it out and with those disgusting egg looking things. Then I put them in a plastic bag and tied it tight before putting in yard trash to go to the landfill. I have been at this for 2 years and I am hoping this will not be the case this spring.

They are the most disgusting things I have ever seen or smelled in an outdoor area, besides the possum that ate some poison, crawled into one of my trash cans and died, this summer. O.M.G. Unfortunately, opossums will eat rat poison.

Old Yesterday, 09:37 AM

1 posts, read 54 times
I have been fing these on my mulch bed for the past few weeks. We have lived in Central Florida for 35 years and have never seen them before. They are disgusting and stinky. Going to try some of the suggestions from this post and hopefully something will work. UGH!

Old Yesterday, 06:55 PM

2,577 posts, read 1,653,277 times
I think they're amazing. What's troubling is everyone's penchant for poisoning things. I used to get "dead fingers" growing in my backyard and I always looked forward to finding them. Enjoy the unusual and marvel at the diversity of life on this planet!

Old Yesterday, 08:05 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,380,888 times
The whole idea of mycology in a system is that it's working.
Fungi not only break down material, they allow certain other plants to use metals
and trace elements.

I'd buy your mulch somewhere else and maybe pay more, and/or turn over your
ground so the mycelia doesn't get a chance to become a cultivation, but fungi
is a good sign of ground health, not a bad one.

Old Yesterday, 11:26 PM

108 posts, read 22,137 times
Call the company u purchase UR mulch from ask them if it's sterile. If it has mushrooms it will have weed seeds too!

Mulch should be sterilized otherwise like garden soil it's full of seeds.? I learned that the hard way. Unless u spay . Spraying spores seed can takes years.

Good Luck.

Old Today, 08:54 AM

836 posts, read 199,882 times
Must be the year of the stinkhorn. I'd never seen one before but they started popping up in some wood mulch we bought. It wasn't hard to guess right away what they were, but yes, have you ever seen such an obscene thing in your life? Ack.

Oddly enough they came up on the hot, dry, sandy west side of the house. But they don't last much longer than a day and then they're gone.

I've got that jackmichigan attitude and if it didn't make me look like a pervert I'd be inviting people over to have a look at my stinkhorns. Heh. I've confined that urge to the family members.

Afterthought: is it proper to refer to them as looking like alien penises?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden