Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 01:49 PM

2,467 posts, read 4,859,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JQ Public View Post
Here's another great collection of Lupines I saw online. I think the poster was from Montana!!

2008 Lupines - Perennials Forum - GardenWeb

I love these plants! ugh...
Thank-you for the link. They are absolutely gorgeous.

I really want to increase my flower bed sizes to about twice the sizes they are now. I'd love to have more of everything plus a few more that I don't have currently. It's just getting that idea to fly with the hubby. It's not that he don't like flowers, he just likes lawns as well. I'd much rather have a back yard lawn space as that is where the kids do most of their playing and turn my whole front yard into flower beds with walking paths and sitting areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 03:20 PM

23,862 posts, read 33,533,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JQ Public View Post
Here's another great collection of Lupines I saw online. I think the poster was from Montana!!

2008 Lupines - Perennials Forum - GardenWeb

I love these plants! ugh...
That's the gardening community I started on.
It's a great site. Very large, every plant pretty much has it's own forum.

Old 06-21-2009, 04:39 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,474,571 times
Very pretty! I just loves flowers. We have long snowy winters where I am and I look so forward to seeing the green grass and flowers. I live in a small apartment with a small front porch. I have that porch just full of flowers right now. Like you I love using whiskey barrels. ***One hint, whiskey barrells take a ton of potting soil. If you are planting something in it that does not have a large root system invert a large pot inside the whiskey barrel when empty and then fill, so you only need about 1/2 of the potting soil you would need, then go ahead and plant.

Old 06-21-2009, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
Very pretty! I just loves flowers. We have long snowy winters where I am and I look so forward to seeing the green grass and flowers. I live in a small apartment with a small front porch. I have that porch just full of flowers right now. Like you I love using whiskey barrels. ***One hint, whiskey barrells take a ton of potting soil. If you are planting something in it that does not have a large root system invert a large pot inside the whiskey barrel when empty and then fill, so you only need about 1/2 of the potting soil you would need, then go ahead and plant.
Thank-you! I hear you about looking forward to spring. I love the snow and all, but after several months of it, it's nice to finally see some bright cheery color.

I used empty soda cans to fill in the lower half of my barrels. I stacked them 2 high. I would have used empty pots, but I had a ton of empty cans verses empty pots. I used a lot less soil putting something in the lower half and the drainage is so much better.

Old 06-21-2009, 06:19 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,062,587 times
For my large planters I use packing peanuts then cover them with cocoa mat and then put good potting soil and plant. that way I don't waste expensive potting soil where roots will never go and I still have good drainage. I have used the same peanuts for over 10 years,,,,,after all, they are plastic.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
For my large planters I use packing peanuts then cover them with cocoa mat and then put good potting soil and plant. that way I don't waste expensive potting soil where roots will never go and I still have good drainage. I have used the same peanuts for over 10 years,,,,,after all, they are plastic.
I have heard of other people doing that. Whatever works, at least it is keeping those packing peanuts out of the landfill.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:42 AM

23,862 posts, read 33,533,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoquilter View Post
I have heard of other people doing that. Whatever works, at least it is keeping those packing peanuts out of the landfill.
People would not believe how many packing peanuts we have..
I do not throw them out, I big bag them then donate to a shipping place.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:08 AM

40 posts, read 139,068 times
The garden is inspiring! I love the lamp post. I know what you mean about garden space. I live in an apartment now and have a patio with a limited area for plants. Trees form a screen from the neighbors driveway next door. Now they have to replace a patio slab so I have to wait. I've been thinking of buying a home, just a small one, with lots of yard in the rear (especially), just so I can have a garden (LOL). Thanks for sharing your garden photos. Beautiful!

Old 06-25-2009, 08:35 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,062,587 times
My motto for life
A GIRL CAN'T HAVE TOO MANY FLOWER BEDS

My husband would spend about two hours tilling up clay with amendments for a new flower bed and I swear I would plant it chock full in 20 minutes and stand there with a pitiful look on my face and say "Bobby, just one more bed please?"

He goes by the motto IF MAMA AIN'T HAPPY AIN'T NOBODY HAPPY so he always obliges. what a dear and patient man. he's a keeper after 34 years...hope I don't wear him out before his 50 year contract is up!!!

Old 06-25-2009, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
My motto for life
A GIRL CAN'T HAVE TOO MANY FLOWER BEDS

My husband would spend about two hours tilling up clay with amendments for a new flower bed and I swear I would plant it chock full in 20 minutes and stand there with a pitiful look on my face and say "Bobby, just one more bed please?"

He goes by the motto IF MAMA AIN'T HAPPY AIN'T NOBODY HAPPY so he always obliges. what a dear and patient man. he's a keeper after 34 years...hope I don't wear him out before his 50 year contract is up!!!
So True!!!

Playing in my flower beds is my only main vice, my other vice is sewing/quilting. I don't go out and drink and party, I don't do drugs, and I don't gamble. A girl has to have a little fun in her life and my fun is flowers and sewing/quilting.

I am slowly working on my hubby to let me increase my flower beds. I think the older he gets and is finding mowing, weed eating, and raking is getting harder to do he'll finally cave and let me have free reign in he front yard as that would mean less work for him in the long run. The backyard is huge and it takes several hours to mow and weed eat. I do have plans for the back yard that will decrease some of the lawn, but for the most part it would remain mainly lawn.

I can see his point in wanting a lawn in the front as it does look nice when it is all mowed and weed eated. The flowers stand out that much more. So I would probably oblige him some lawn, but not as much as we currently have.

It's nice of your hubby to oblige you. He sounds like a man who truely understands that his happiness relies on the happiness of his wife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden