Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 06:38 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,155,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiegirlfriend View Post
I always thought dogwood trees needed to be shaded by larger trees. Is that just in hotter climates? The people behind us have a Japanese Maple and it is beautiful.
Dogwoods will perform better as understory plantings. They can be damaged in full sun. Doesn't stop people from trying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 07:30 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillypups View Post
Falling maple squirt helicopters are more of a PITA then the mimosa.
Good point -- I'm always pulling up maple seedlings. Not to mention the walnut/oak trees from squirrels burying their nuts.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:33 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,823,728 times
I secretly want to sabotage escaped mimosa trees throughout the neighborhood. They anger me.

Old 06-20-2009, 08:26 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,537,039 times
Dogwoods have been mentioned in here quite a bit. The power company where I used to live gives away dogwood and redbud trees every spring. The reason for these trees is they don't grow high enough to interfere with power lines. I've never planted a dogwood in the shade of another tree and they have all grown up just fine.
I wish I had pictures of some of these, but some people will plant a dogwood (white) and a redbud in the same hole. They bloom about the same time and having the white dogwood blooms and the blooms from the redbud look amazing mixed in together.

Old 06-20-2009, 08:35 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,174,310 times
Mimosa is such a beautiful tree.....but makes such a mess. I never knew they were considered invasive.

Old 06-23-2009, 06:10 PM

593 posts, read 2,894,107 times
Please DO NOT plant a mimosa!
They are a serious pest plant that have wreaked havoc on ecosystems, ESPECIALLY in Virginia.
They are on the do not plant lists for the exotic pest plant councils in just about every state.

There are countless tropicalesque alternatives. Magnolia grandiflora (southern magnolia ) comes to mind. there are many smaller cultivars. Sweetbay magnolia. Catalpa. And there are others.
Just as a side note, if you have found a nursery in VA selling mimosa, I would ask them why they are selling this plant and I probably wouldn't shop there. Selling them is not very ethical.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:35 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,449,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagbark Hickory View Post
Please DO NOT plant a mimosa!
They are a serious pest plant that have wreaked havoc on ecosystems, ESPECIALLY in Virginia.
They are on the do not plant lists for the exotic pest plant councils in just about every state.

There are countless tropicalesque alternatives. Magnolia grandiflora (southern magnolia ) comes to mind. there are many smaller cultivars. Sweetbay magnolia. Catalpa. And there are others.
Just as a side note, if you have found a nursery in VA selling mimosa, I would ask them why they are selling this plant and I probably wouldn't shop there. Selling them is not very ethical.
Catalpa trees are a messy tree as well. They grow the seed pods after the flowers finish blooming that hang down 8-12" all over it. Then they drop to the ground. The flowers are interesting in mid spring, but the rest of the tree is such a messy thing, I can't even imagine recommending it.

Old 06-23-2009, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaine View Post
Catalpa trees are a messy tree as well. They grow the seed pods after the flowers finish blooming that hang down 8-12" all over it. Then they drop to the ground. The flowers are interesting in mid spring, but the rest of the tree is such a messy thing, I can't even imagine recommending it.
They may be "messy" but they aren't an invasive species that are invading natural areas and displacing native plants and reducing biodiversity.
Catalpa wouldn't be my first choice but they are tropical looking and figured that is what the OP is after.

Old 06-24-2009, 03:37 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,626,728 times
I LOVE mimosa trees.

I have such fond memories as a kid playing in the neighbor's mimosa tree for hours every day.

When we start building our home, I will be planting at least 1, along with other trees I hold dear from my childhood, so the kiddo can enjoy them as much as I did.

Old 06-24-2009, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
I LOVE mimosa trees.

I have such fond memories as a kid playing in the neighbor's mimosa tree for hours every day.

When we start building our home, I will be planting at least 1, along with other trees I hold dear from my childhood, so the kiddo can enjoy them as much as I did.

Please reconsider. There are other trees that will create fond memories and I'll tell you one thing. By planting a mimosa, lord knows how many children you will be robbing of fond memories when these spread to natural areas displacing native plants, many of them rare endangered plants that support wildlife.
Why don't you plant a thornless honeylocust instead? They are very similar. Black locust is another tree that looks very much like mimosa but unlike honeylocust, these have showy flowers. They are not very good trees to have in your yard as they are prone to a host of pests and diseases but your children will never know the difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden