Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 02:45 PM

324 posts, read 1,138,791 times

Advertisements

I would like to plant a mimosa tree in my yard, but after googling about them, I am starting to reconsider. They say it is very invasive. We live in Va Beach and I am looking for an ornamental tree that will not grow too tall ( because of tropical storms ) and fall into my house. I like the crepe myrtles, but they drop the berry things. Any advice would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 02:48 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,518,485 times
You may consider a dogwood (Kousa or white) or Japanese Maples are beautiful trees as well. All are nice and I have all of these planted in my yard.

By the way I think crepes are way over planted in VA Beach. They are everywhere!

Old 06-17-2009, 03:09 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,135,904 times
My neighbor planted a minosa a few years ago. It has grown very quickly. During our wind storm in southern Ohio last September, that tree just blew in the wind, no breakage. And we lost a lot of trees in Cincinnati, it was a mess. Her's is just starting to bloom. I dont know a lot about them (more of a flower girl, thats why I think I like it so much!) but it looks like a quick grower and a great filtered shade provider. It has more of an very large umbrella shape to it. Just thought I'd share!

Old 06-17-2009, 03:46 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,023,882 times
Hartwell girl, do you have any problems with tent caterpillars (webworms) up in Ohio? They killed my mimosa down here in La; however, I see plenty of these trees all over the place even along the highways.

To the original poster-I think a mimosa would be a good choice for you-they don't blow down and seem to winter well. The only thing are those little fluffy flowers; once they fall down off the tree they are all over the place.

Old 06-17-2009, 04:26 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,158,279 times
Depends on where you live. Zone 5 and above, it should not be a problem.

Silktree, Mimosa - Nonnative Invasive Plants of Southern Forests - A Field Guide for Identification and Control

Old 06-17-2009, 05:04 PM

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Along the Gulf coast Mimosa trees are everywhere. Pretty tree but definitely invasive in areas.

I second the Japanese Maple , or another pretty alternative might be the 'forest pansy' Redbud
Pretty pink flowers in spring and tiny red berries in the fall.

Old 06-17-2009, 07:24 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,518,485 times
I love redbuds too.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:24 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,542,940 times
My dad always said a mimosa would live through an atomic blast. lol
The best way I found to trim a mimosa tree is to cut it as close to the ground as you can. Then keep killing the sprouts for as long as it takes.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:08 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,861,291 times
We had two mimosas when we moved here. Got rid of both of them! The flowers make such a mess when they fall. If it rains, you track them inside. They make a mess on your cars. They don't smell good either. The seeds fall and every one sprout a new tree. We bought a white ash and it has done well for us. Can handle the dry heat of summer and the rains in the spring. We did have to use a stymemic insecticide / fertilizer on it this year. It held up well in our big ice storm when we lost 3 oak trees.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:16 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,450,894 times
I wish I'd never planted the mimosa my neighbor gave me from a seedling he got from his brothers yard in Va. I live on Cape Cod. I had it cut down after 15 years because it was scraggly looking and leaned weird.

Stupid seedlings have popped up everywhere over the years and I've had to have stump grinders come in 3 times so far and grind out stumps because we've chopped, hacked, chainsawed, etc., to no avail. They are a PITA!!!!

Previous poster was right on with the suggestion of dwarf Japenese red maples. Mine are 30 years old, about 15 feet high and look absolutely gorgeous in the yard all summer long.

Dogwoods are a good choice, or how about a cherry tree? Beautiful flowers in the spring!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden