U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2009, 04:45 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,107,250 times

Advertisements

Ok, so everything is starting to fill out. Good. So close to a real garden....

But we had a few heavy rainstorms a week or two ago, and while the moisture was nothing but a benefit to growth, some of my taller stuff gave way near the crown. Still alive but horizontal instead of vertical and tall enough that it matters.

Having come from SoFl I'm used to everything growing year 'round, so recovery has never been an issue before. Cut it down and a week later it's right back again.
Now I have the northern Alabama season to keep in mind, and I haven't been here long enough to know.

Should I cut them back to a clump and let new growth fill out or just stake the plants? I want to harvest seeds and am unsure how many blooms I'll get this season if I groom these two plants in particular. Right now they're loaded.

I have some serious tomato stakes I can cut to size...
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 05:27 PM

7,730 posts, read 12,711,155 times
I would cut 1/2 down and leave the others for the seeds. stake them if you need to. Chances are, in your zone, you'll have lots of time. Shastas and echinacea will rebloom if they hadn't set seed already.

Old 06-20-2009, 08:17 AM

1,055 posts, read 3,653,824 times
We have been getting dumped on with heavy rain in the Cincinnati area & I have a few plants that have leaned a little from the rain as well...I stake a few of my things up, and once they dry out a little, they do what they are supposed to do---stand up tall facing the sun.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:01 AM

10,676 posts, read 21,348,205 times
Go to Depot. Lowes and/or Walmart & see if they have the various sized tomato cages.

My hubby cut a few down for me to make them lower but so far they are working to hold plants.
The stems that were more on the ground that wouldn't go straight when pulled up got cut, I left the rest.

I used a piece of twine to wrap the plant before putting the cage on, once it was on I pulled the twine off.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:12 AM

32,371 posts, read 59,817,368 times
My coneflowers are out-and-out rotting from all the rain we've had in Philadelphia. Bleah.

I do use flower support rings on some of my taller, floppier flowers, like blanketflower. They work like a charm.

Old 06-23-2009, 02:15 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,107,250 times
Thanks, all!

Ohio, I had that problem with mine in FL...just could not grow Coneflower, got too wet and rotted...over and over.
Here, they grow like madness. Nice to see them reach potential.

I trimmed a bit where it was definitely broken at the stem, but staked the rest with my tomato stakes (basically 4' 'cages' like other poster mentioned, metal interior/plastic exterior, snaps together however you like - I cut them down to size) as blended frontal fencing for the Coneflower (now very happy) and all around for the Shasta, which are still looking kinda shabby. Plant isn't dead or dying, flowers just didn't appreciate the weathering and look beaten. Fingers crossed for seeds.

Looks like it's going to be a flood or bake kind of summer. I'll take the rain, however it comes.

Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden