U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2009, 06:26 PM

158 posts, read 1,018,664 times

Advertisements

I am the world's worse gardener and have avoided landscaping my yard for years. I do have two flowering shrubs in my front yard along the house. I forget what they are called. They are long, with purple flowers and I think it starts with an A. Anyway, they have attracted bees and I am wondering if there is anything I can put in the area , or spray something to get rid of them or send them on their way. I finally bought some new things I want to plant in the same area, but I don't want to be there with the bees. Or maybe I need to plant them at night???
Any advice for a clueless gardener?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 06:30 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,022,687 times
Without Bees you have no plants.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:17 PM

13,516 posts, read 29,464,086 times
Are the shrubs Chaste trees (Vitex)?

Old 06-23-2009, 04:33 AM

18,127 posts, read 16,461,608 times
Bees won't bother you, so let them alone please. I haven't even seen alot of wasps or yellowjackets this year come to think of it. We usually see them buzzing around the shutters and have to spray them when they build nests. I've seen a few bumblebees but no honeybees after seeing more last year finally. It may be the wet weather.
If you really don't like bees then a natural way to get rid of them are praying mantids. I see them on our flowers and they like to munch on bumblebees. I've also seen them chowing down on butterflies so they can be little jerks but thats nature for ya.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:56 AM

158 posts, read 1,018,664 times
I didn't mean that I wanted to kill them, just get them away so I can plant some more things.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:43 AM

3,088 posts, read 4,545,384 times
Icy Tea is correct, the bees will not "bother" you. . . they spend their days out foraging for food, that is what they are doing around your flowers. So long as your plants are flowering, they will be present. You may want to do your additional plantings after sunset, when the bees are "at home" rather than out foraging.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:49 AM

3,065 posts, read 5,283,625 times
If you don't want bees, don't plant flowers.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:25 AM

1,077 posts, read 3,799,840 times
Bees are your friend!

I've been thrilled to see so many these days milling around the lupines. Has anyone heard an update whether they're still disappearing or not?

The bees are so interested in the flowers that they don't usually bother with you, even when you accidently 'water' them. If they get a little testy, back up a foot or two and give them some space.

Unless you rest your arm on one or something, they probably won't bother with you.

You can water and play with your plants early before they're out and about, or early evening when they aren't around any more.

Bees are friendly, but the wasps, yellow-jackets, hornets and such can be nasty.

Old 06-23-2009, 11:00 AM

3,088 posts, read 4,545,384 times
Hi Stone Ground. . . I've been wondering about the bee's, too. 10 / 12 years ago, I was hearing that many bee colonies in the eastern U.S. were being wiped out by a parasite of some kind, but haven't heard that lately. Do we have an entymologist online that can enlighten us? Out here in the west, I have noticed no decline in bee population. . .

Old 06-23-2009, 12:04 PM

3,788 posts, read 6,675,028 times
I have been around bees and never been stung. I don't swat at them or anything. I go quietly about my business. They don't bother me. I go in my vegetable garden and check inside the flowers to see if there are any bees (if not I self pollinate the females).

If you want to plant something without them around, do it in the evening after they've gone home.

Hornets, wasps and yellow jackets are nasty and take exception to you being there. They are also poor pollinators.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden