Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 01:50 PM

8 posts, read 44,120 times

Advertisements

Ok so my husband and I bought an old house and completely gutted it and made the inside AMAZING!! On the outside we put a new a roof on, new siding, burgundy shutters and a GREAT front door but that is it. We have absolutely NO plants in the front yard and it looks horrible. I have tried to look for low maintenance plants and shrubs but I just get confused and want to pull my hair out. What I want is low maintenance, ever green, and they can't get higher then 3 to 5 feet (also I have looked at the zone map thing and I think I am in zone 7b). I NEED HELP PLEASE!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 02:03 PM

964 posts, read 3,150,591 times
Well, how even is the surface of your front yard? Do you want formal input or someone who has experience?

Old 06-24-2009, 02:15 PM

It slops a little on one side. I want any advice I can get but I guess experience would be great!!!

Old 06-24-2009, 02:20 PM

964 posts, read 3,150,591 times
Well, you could always check Wal Mart or Lowes for some decent priced plants to start off with something that doesn't require too much management. And maybe some lawn decorations. Sorry if this isn't too helpful as I'm not too experienced with lawn care and all.

Old 06-24-2009, 04:40 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,330,955 times
Which direction does your house face: north, south, east, west? Are there a lot of trees? What kinds? Do you want to minimize the mowing area, or do you want lots of grass?

A lot will depend on that.

You will have to trim bushes at some time - they'll either get too tall, or too thick. You probably want to trim as little as possible, right?

Boxwood might work - American and English boxwood grow very slowly. Korean grows fast - you'd have to trim that at least a couple of times a year.

There's an ilex plant - can't remember the exact name - but it looks like fat green cushions when it's full grown. Hardly anything kills it.

Nandina has some color, but can get straggly looking and will shoot up if you don't trim it. But it will grow anywhere, also.

Go to a good nursery and talk to them - they can help you a LOT. Be sure to buy your plants from them - don't just go back to WalMart or Lowe's to buy them after you get the advice. Nurseries tend to have healthier plants.

Also, this is not the best time of year to plant new shrubs - it's too hot. If you do, be aware that you'll have to water every day. Mulch to keep the moisture in.

And get yourself one of the Southern Living garden guides for good advice.

Have fun!

Old 06-24-2009, 07:17 PM

Thanks for the advice! I have looked at Nandina's and like them but my husband doesn't. Yeah I have looked at the plants at Lowe's and they just look sad so I figured it was probably not a good idea to buy from them. I think I will go to a local nursery and try to get some more help! Thanks

Old 06-24-2009, 07:31 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,098,845 times
Ilex herreri is the low ground round shrub. Herreri Holly.

Just don't do Green and Gold Euyonmous. I know, you think it will look great with burgundy shutters, but in our zone, it gets horrible powdery mildew, all sorts of fungal infections, and lots of bugs. Spiders love it and build webs all through it. The green one should be off the list too.

Depending on sun, you might want to consider a mixture of spring blooming deciduous shrubs like forsythia (which would look great with the burgundy), flowering quince (eh, not so much with the shutters), and maybe a spirea. There's white, goldmound with pink blooms, and a solid green whose name escapes me right now. You could also mix in some summer bloomers like Calycanthus florida, if you're East of the Mississippi. And don't forget camellias (in the south only) for winter/fall interest. The camellias will be evergreen so you could use those for your summer greenery.

Stagger plant heights. There's nothing wrong with planting things that need to be pruned. Just don't plant something like Loropetalum that can reach 10' high and wonder why your shrubs always look a mess.

Let us know what you pick. We also love pictures.

Old 06-24-2009, 07:38 PM

855 posts, read 2,388,720 times
There are also several different kinds of globe arborvitae that stay fairly compact and have different leaf structures and tones. Most don't grow beyond four feet or so, some smaller. Danica, Linesville, Teddy and Little Giant are some nice ones. We've got a couple of the Little Giants in front and even though I haven't trimmed them in a few years, they stay pretty compact.

Some people don't like Junipers but we have a few low growing "Nick's Compacta" that work well in a bed we have by our driveway.

Old 06-24-2009, 07:40 PM

My husband said that our front yard gets direct sun almost all day and it faces South. I have also been told not to plant in even numbers always odds is that right and why?

Old 06-24-2009, 07:40 PM

36,499 posts, read 53,776,198 times
Use the next few months to do some research and get some practical help. Contact your local extension agent. Master Gardeners have to work 50 hours after they have received their training and sometimes you can get somebody to do a plan for you. Hire a professional for the plan and then do it yourself. You will save money in the long run and won't have to loose money on the wrong plant. Don't plant a thing until fall. Wherever you are June and summer is not the right time to plant anything.
And there are zillion different kinds of nandinias. some short and fat with beautiful red colors and some long and skinny. some even look like ground cover.
Again you can't go wrong with a good professional plan and then you can go at your own speed and budget. It would be a shame for that terrific interior to be completely negated by a yucky exterior. After all, the outside-landscaping- hints of what is inside.
good luck and don't count on any expertise in landscaping at Lowes or Home Depot. Find a reputable independent nursery-if there are any left after ther big box stores have put so many out of business- and they will surely have somebody on staff who can help you. BUT DON'T PLANT NOW,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden