U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 02:54 PM

531 posts, read 2,529,629 times

Advertisements

24 Celebrity and Better Boy tomatoes
9 spacesaver cukes
4 cups bush green beans
enough basil to make 8 cups of pesto and 6 pesto/proscuitto/mozzarella sandwiches.
And my all time favorite, a pint of super sweet 100 cherry tomatoes every day.

I'm scrounging for tomato recipes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2009, 04:16 PM

5,019 posts, read 12,466,511 times
Some cherry tomatoes and tons of basil! I am in S. Indiana.

Here is a photo of my little container garden in the spring:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...ner-garden.jpg

Old 07-04-2009, 04:28 PM

2,560 posts, read 5,047,541 times
Nothing here yet except basil and spearmint. Tomatoes are getting big. Too much heat now and too much rain in May so they got a slow start. I told my neighbor he needed to pick his turning tomato and let it ripen in the house. He didn't. A couple of days ago, it was laying in his yard half eaten by a squirrel or some other critter.
Maybe he will listen next time. It sure was a pretty juicy tomato too!

Old 07-04-2009, 07:24 PM
Status: "I cannot wait for the heat to break..." (set 3 days ago)

20,368 posts, read 25,483,948 times
nuala- I never thought of making tea. I have some lemon balm growing which I think can be used for tea. As far as herbs go what is the best way to dry and preserve them?

cstleddy- Wow you got quite the bounty today. I also have spacesaver cukes but I have no idea what they look like or how big they get. I bought then from a garden supply with no description. Do you have a picture?

It sounds like you have a ton of tomatoes. Do you do any canning? There is a thread for that if you are interested. Here is the link:
Who does Canning here?

Here is a recipe that I tried for the first time this year and I thought it was pretty good:

Country Style Tomatoes
4 large tomatoes
1 8 oz. package of cream cheese
1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
1 1/2 tsp. minced fresh basil
1 clove garlic minced
1/4 ts. salt
1/4 c all purpose flour
1 cup panko
1 egg
1 Tbl. milk
3 Tbl. butter
2 Tbl. olive oil

Cut each tomato into 4 thick slices, draind on paper towels. Beat cream cheese, parsley, basil, garlic, and salt until blended. Spread cream cheese mixture over 8 slices of tomatoes and top with remaining slices.

Place flour and bread crumbs(panko) in separate shallow bowls. In another bowl whisk egg and milk. Coat the top and bottom of each tomato "sandwich" with flour, dip in egg, and then coat with crumbs.

In a large skillet, heat butter and olive oil over med-hot heat. Fry tomato sandwiches in batches of 3-4 minutes on each side until golden brown. Drain on paper towels and serve immediately.

I made these and oven fried them at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes. I sprayed them with cooking spray and turned them half way.

plaidmom- Thanks for the picture.

okiegirlfriend- Next time just take the tomato, lol.

Old 07-04-2009, 07:48 PM

4,218 posts, read 7,849,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
nuala- I never thought of making tea. I have some lemon balm growing which I think can be used for tea. As far as herbs go what is the best way to dry and preserve them?
I do it the old-fashioned way, air-dried (no electrical dehydrators). We have a covered area attached to the house, for drying firewood, so I put pieces of plywood on top of the firewood and spread flowers/leaves on them. (Actually, I also use an old wooden toolbox on top of the firewood where I dry chamomile, its sides protect from accidental wind.) The roof has south-west exposure so it gets pretty hot under that roof, but it's breezy, too.

The trick is not letting them to start rotting, if there is mist or rain in the air (that's why an attic is the best for drying, but we have only a token of an attic).

Someone from Alaska forum (GrammasCabin?) also pointed out that strawberry and blueberry leaves can be used in teas. Almost all berry leaves, I think, since they have some of the same content as the berries they bear. And, GrammasCabin mixes the leaves, which I hadn't thought of so far, I had the leaves separate, but - it's a great idea!

Apart from the herbs, I dry apples (cut in pieces, in the fall when there is abundance of apples. Mostly wild ones, crabapples), wild rose hips (for tea, too - they have amazing concentration of vitamin C, for colds)-- and always wanted to sun-dry tomatoes !!! Remember those Italian sun-dried tomatoes with so much taste?? Hopefully this year I will have enough tomatoes to be sun-dried, in addition to canning (fingers crossed).

Last edited by nuala; 07-04-2009 at 08:11 PM..

Old 07-04-2009, 08:17 PM

13,341 posts, read 10,898,841 times
We have been eating radishes out of the garden for a couple weeks, I have Anaheim peppers ready to pick (probably tomorrow) Brussel sprouts coming on pretty quick and beets as well. The rest will be a week or two before it's time. Cuc's, squash, tomatoes, green beans and snow peas, my jalepenos' are coming on strong and my cayennes as well. Purple onion's getting there too. I feel a garden fresh salsa coming on oh and lest I forget the carrots.I'm going to pickle carrots, onions and jalepenos' together mmmm mmmm.

Old 07-04-2009, 08:30 PM

31,162 posts, read 57,274,608 times
My tomatoes are green, the eggplant refuses to flower, and the peppers are the size of peas, but the herbs are pretty danged tasty.

Old 07-04-2009, 08:46 PM

23,440 posts, read 30,607,252 times
I picked about 2 dz "bella rosa" heirloom tomatoes, 3 pints of grape tomatoes, about 2 pounds of green beans, 6 poblano peppers, and more basil than I could handle, we ate everything today...... thats my problem, we keep eating ALL the produce!

Old 07-05-2009, 08:22 PM

10,791 posts, read 7,494,366 times
I just picked these ... guess what they are?

So What Did You Pick from Your Garden Today?-olives2.jpg

No, not plums. Kalamata Olives! Aren't they huge?!

It's a young tree so there were only about 8 of them. Sure made up for it though.

Old 07-05-2009, 09:20 PM

36,434 posts, read 41,608,566 times
two dozen japanese beetles................................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or