Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 12:13 AM

2,035 posts, read 5,035,606 times

Advertisements

..A handful of sun sugar Tomatoes, First Tomatoes amongst the three varieties i have growing this year..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 09:43 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,269,932 times
6 cocktail toms on the 4th & 8 yesterday... I'm happy.
The regular toms are getting big, can't wait until they turn red.

Those ugly green horned worms better stay away. Haven't seen any evidence of them yet...I better not.
At least I know I will get my revenge when they do show up...the chickens LOVE them. HA !

Does anyone have problems with them ? I don't want to use any chemicals on my veggies, so what do you do if they start showing up ??? Besides spending hours looking for them to pick off.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:57 AM

532 posts, read 2,845,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
cstleddy- Wow you got quite the bounty today. I also have spacesaver cukes but I have no idea what they look like or how big they get. I bought then from a garden supply with no description. Do you have a picture?

It sounds like you have a ton of tomatoes. Do you do any canning? There is a thread for that if you are interested.
Younglisa7, thanks for the link and recipe, I'll definately try them out. I've never canned but I read you can freeze whole tomatoes with the skins on. I've made lots of Gazpacho and froze it. I've been getting recipes for green and red tomatoes.

Here's a pic of my first bountiful harvest. They just keep coming like that once a week.

My first time growing cukes and wasn't sure when to harvest. My neighbor suggested growing them under the tomatoes but at first they didn't get much sun. They seem stunted. some dangled and turned out droplet shaped and others on the ground were normal shaped. Pick them early, don't let them begin to whiten/yellow (dry and seed development) Mine taste great, but only reached 4".

Attachment 44585 Spacesaver cukes

Attachment 44586 Spacesaver cukes

Attachment 44587 bountiful harvest #1 (of veggies)

Last edited by cstleddy; 10-01-2009 at 04:23 PM..

Old 07-06-2009, 10:12 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
two dozen japanese beetles................................
I've noticed a "bloom" of the little devils just this past weekend. Argh.

Old 07-06-2009, 12:49 PM

2,029 posts, read 4,038,108 times
Picked our first cucumber on Saturday! About 7-8 inches long and already devoured. Today I picked 11 cayennes. Tomatoes are still green. The Long Hots should be ready by this weekend. The jalepenos are starting to come along. Oh yeah I also picked some spearmint and orange mint to have with ice tea. I've never had orange mint before and I wish I had gotten the chocolate mint plant. Never heard of the chocolate mint before. I also have some sweet crimson watermelon plants but they seem to be slower than everything else. We did watermelons only one other time and only got 2 melons. Is that normal? I know there were 8 melons but only 2 made it to full growth. The others disappeared. Do the rabbits eat them? We have a lot of rabbits in our yard.

Old 07-07-2009, 11:11 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,815,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouijeewoman View Post
Picked our first cucumber on Saturday! About 7-8 inches long and already devoured. Today I picked 11 cayennes. Tomatoes are still green. The Long Hots should be ready by this weekend. The jalepenos are starting to come along. Oh yeah I also picked some spearmint and orange mint to have with ice tea. I've never had orange mint before and I wish I had gotten the chocolate mint plant. Never heard of the chocolate mint before. I also have some sweet crimson watermelon plants but they seem to be slower than everything else. We did watermelons only one other time and only got 2 melons. Is that normal? I know there were 8 melons but only 2 made it to full growth. The others disappeared. Do the rabbits eat them? We have a lot of rabbits in our yard.
I got my chocolate mint plant off Ebay a few years ago. I couldn't be happier with it. It comes back every year and I've even given some plants away and I still have enough. It's great in tea and for chocolate sauce.

At the end of the season, I put the leaves into ice cube containers, fill with water and use the cubes in iced tea all winter. Can't beat that for being a useful plant

Old 07-07-2009, 11:13 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,815,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
nuala- I never thought of making tea. I have some lemon balm growing which I think can be used for tea. As far as herbs go what is the best way to dry and preserve them?

cstleddy- Wow you got quite the bounty today. I also have spacesaver cukes but I have no idea what they look like or how big they get. I bought then from a garden supply with no description. Do you have a picture?

It sounds like you have a ton of tomatoes. Do you do any canning? There is a thread for that if you are interested. Here is the link:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/recip...ning-here.html

Here is a recipe that I tried for the first time this year and I thought it was pretty good:

Country Style Tomatoes
4 large tomatoes
1 8 oz. package of cream cheese
1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
1 1/2 tsp. minced fresh basil
1 clove garlic minced
1/4 ts. salt
1/4 c all purpose flour
1 cup panko
1 egg
1 Tbl. milk
3 Tbl. butter
2 Tbl. olive oil

Cut each tomato into 4 thick slices, draind on paper towels. Beat cream cheese, parsley, basil, garlic, and salt until blended. Spread cream cheese mixture over 8 slices of tomatoes and top with remaining slices.

Place flour and bread crumbs(panko) in separate shallow bowls. In another bowl whisk egg and milk. Coat the top and bottom of each tomato "sandwich" with flour, dip in egg, and then coat with crumbs.

In a large skillet, heat butter and olive oil over med-hot heat. Fry tomato sandwiches in batches of 3-4 minutes on each side until golden brown. Drain on paper towels and serve immediately.

I made these and oven fried them at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes. I sprayed them with cooking spray and turned them half way.

plaidmom- Thanks for the picture.

okiegirlfriend- Next time just take the tomato, lol.

Thanks for the recipe. I am drooling right now!

Old 07-07-2009, 11:17 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,350,315 times
tomatos and jalapenos

Old 07-07-2009, 12:21 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,998,001 times
just picked a mess of green beans, gonna use them in chinese stir fry tonight.... I had delusions nof canning and freezing the excess from the garden, but we keep eating it all!

Old 07-07-2009, 02:05 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,391,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highway29south View Post
Thanks for the recipe. I am drooling right now!
You're welcome. I liked it. I love cc and tomatoes together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
tomatos and jalapenos
Time for some salsa. yum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
just picked a mess of green beans, gonna use them in chinese stir fry tonight.... I had delusions nof canning and freezing the excess from the garden, but we keep eating it all!
Ha, ha me too. I think in a couple of more weeks I won't be able to eat it all.

Looks like I have some more cukes ready to go. I'll wait until the morning to pick those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden