U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 04:45 PM

1,828 posts, read 3,279,224 times

Advertisements

My wife picked our first peas on Sunday, and she put them in a yummy alfredo sauce along with mushrooms!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am putting Miracle-Gro on my watermelons every 2 days, I will get them going or as Muttley would say Rasm*($@^& Frasm$@(*!)*(%&!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 04:49 PM

238 posts, read 960,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
I know the feeling. When that first one ripens, after weeks of anticipation, it's almost emotional. I usually pop it in my mouth and savour all my hard work right there and then.

Then they all start to ripen up, by the dozens, all at once and it's like "what do I do with so many cherry tomatoes!!!!????"

Let's see ... ... salsa, salad, gazpacho, pasta sauce, give some away, more salsa, more salad, give some more away ...

I don't know about everyone else but I always end a cherry tomato harvest with the promise that I'll only plant a couple plants next year. But then I plant 5 or 6 plants. Again.
I thought I was the only one going through these bizarre emotions. I go through the exact same steps every year, including vowing to plant 1-2 plants next year but never sticking to that plan. But this time I have the answer - I will plant "Big Boys" next year and that should save picking
time

Old 07-07-2009, 09:08 PM

830 posts, read 2,283,367 times
A gazillion red onions! I'm drying them and will braid them and hang them in my kitchen

Old 07-07-2009, 09:29 PM

3 posts, read 12,218 times
1 cucumber, 2 butternut squash and ate some grapes from the vine while working on the garden. I learned the bluer grapes taste even better than the purple ones.

...gregory
mertens3d - 3d architectural rendering and animation - home page

Old 07-08-2009, 06:26 PM

1,458 posts, read 5,110,127 times
Gooseberries.

Forgot how good they were. My mother's neighbor had them, about 40 years ago.

We bought this house last June, and moved two from shade to sun on the side. They are doing well and producing maybe a pint this year.

Doing so well, I may plant more.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:59 PM

517 posts, read 2,240,715 times
Lettuce - it seems to be the only thing ready so far. I've got flowers on my zucchini, cucumber, and tomato plants but no vegetables. I wonder if I should be fertilizing more.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:39 PM
Status: "I cannot wait for the heat to break..." (set 3 days ago)

20,368 posts, read 25,483,948 times
mdvaden- What does a Gooseberry taste like?

KarenBo- When did you plant? My one zucchini plant is taking a very long time. It is just starting to flower. I am giving my plants Miracle Grow once a week and Epsom Salt once a week. I have no idea if it is helping or not but everything is still alive, lol.

I picked 2 cucumbers today.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:55 PM

4,218 posts, read 7,849,480 times
younglisa - be careful with Miracle-Gro.

"The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency‎ (EPA) has enforced a series of stop-sale orders for Scotts products. The orders indicate the EPA has found that labels of 24 different Scotts products make false, misleading, or unsubstantiated claims. In addition, the EPA has indicated that some Scotts products contain unapproved ingredients. As of February 26, 2009, the EPA has ordered Scotts to cease distributing multiple fertilizers, herbicides, and insecticides.[9]"

Scotts Miracle-Gro Company - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-08-2009, 09:40 PM

1,122 posts, read 1,966,797 times
LALALALALA! My ears...er...eyes are covered! My cold zone will keep me from picking the fun stuff for awhile. HOWEVER! We have turnips, radishes and loads of various lettuces we been picking. I've learned that I LOVE collards and HATE swiss chard. Some of my lettuce is down right too pretty too pick...well almost! And so YUMMY! I've been, well all of us, have been snitching leaves here and there so bad that it looks like rabbits have been in the lettuce patch.

So what have you all been doing with what you pick? Did you know that there is a recipe out there for turnip crisp like apple crisp? Well I have 20 turnips and double that still growing. Gotta find a way to get the kids to eat them besides just soups and stews.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:32 PM

1,458 posts, read 5,110,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
mdvaden- What does a Gooseberry taste like?

KarenBo- When did you plant? My one zucchini plant is taking a very long time. It is just starting to flower. I am giving my plants Miracle Grow once a week and Epsom Salt once a week. I have no idea if it is helping or not but everything is still alive, lol.

I picked 2 cucumbers today.
Now that's a hard one to explain.

The texture feels like eating a grape.

When ripe, maybe a 5 for sweetness on a scale of 1 to 10.

A slight bit of tartness.

And about the size of a grape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or