Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 05:57 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,389,075 times

Advertisements

nuala- Thank you for the link about the Miracle Grow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flik_becky View Post
We have turnips, radishes and loads of various lettuces we been picking. I've learned that I LOVE collards and HATE swiss chard. Some of my lettuce is down right too pretty too pick...well almost! And so YUMMY! I've been, well all of us, have been snitching leaves here and there so bad that it looks like rabbits have been in the lettuce patch.

At least you are picking. And you have found a like and a dislike. I have never had either collards or swiss chard. I did try 2 weird looking squash that I got at the Farmer's Market last weekend. One was good and one was not. I don't remember the names.

I love turnips. I just found a recipe for you to try. I have no idea what it will taste like. Good luck.

Turnip Raisin Spice Cake
2 ½ cups whole wheat flour
¼ tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
¼ tsp cloves
½ cup margarine
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 tsp baking soda
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup mashed turnip, cold
1 cup raisins

Directions
Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and flour a 13 x 9” pan.
Combine dry ingredients in a medium bowl.
Cream margarine and sugar.
Combine baking soda with buttermilk, and add to the creamed mixture. Blend well.
Mix in the turnip and raisins.
Add flour mixture to the turnip mixture and blend very well.
Scrape into pan and bake 40 minutes.
Cool completely in pan before turning out and sifting icing sugar over cake to serve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvaden View Post
Now that's a hard one to explain.

The texture feels like eating a grape.

When ripe, maybe a 5 for sweetness on a scale of 1 to 10.

A slight bit of tartness.

And about the size of a grape.
Thank you for the explanation. I love food so maybe I need to look for and start trying new things.

Well I haven't been up to the garden yet but I know I have a couple of yellow squash ready.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 11:51 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,269,285 times
I picked 8 more cocktail tomatoes last night and....... I have several peppers growing fast. YEA !!!

Old 07-10-2009, 08:54 PM

2,029 posts, read 4,037,796 times
Cucumbers, long hots, and cayennes today! The cayennes are so good in chili. Still no tomatoes yet.

Old 07-11-2009, 12:57 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
I've picked two tomatoes, but anxiously await a million more.
At least I have some to wait for.
I picked a bunch of basil last night and made two tubs of pesto.

Old 07-11-2009, 07:25 PM

I picked 2 more yellow squash today and another cucumber. Slow and steady is fine with me. I'm sure when all the tomatoes come in I will have to start canning, lol.

Old 07-12-2009, 01:24 AM

10,782 posts, read 8,727,605 times
I didn't actually pick these. They were so ripe they dropped off the tree onto the ground. Not overripe, perfect. Bursting with juice ...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Limes.jpg
Views:	4924
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	44939

It's a Tahitian Lime tree. Very fertile. They get a blush of yellow when really ripe.

I make Limeade all the time. There's always a jug in the fridge. And put lime in tonic water, sparkling water, plain water, squeezed on fish, chicken, salad, give some away (people are so thrilled to get limes!), make lime-oncello, etc., etc. I really enjoy my lime tree.

Old 07-12-2009, 01:40 AM

10,782 posts, read 8,727,605 times
And these are from my other olive tree ...

Name:	Olives2.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	189.2 KB
ID:	44940

I sorted through them all, getting rid of overripe ones (fully dark) and ones with spots and bruises or that were pecked by birds. And I put them in a bucket with fresh water.

Name:	Olives in Bucket.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	44941

I put a plate on top to keep them submerged. Change the water every day til they lose their bitterness - 2 or more weeks. Then preserve them in brine for at least 6 - 8 weeks before use.

Old 07-12-2009, 02:06 AM

2,035 posts, read 5,035,177 times
Allspice leaves..yes, the real ones..to take to work to show people who have never seen one..

Still waiting on the Roma tomatoes *sigh* Probably another week to go..(sigh,.. again)

Old 07-12-2009, 03:01 AM

392 posts, read 990,802 times
Default veggie garden

Finally picked a small red Early Girl tomato. Have been getting a few Roma's off and on. The little grape tomatoes are coming on full force now. This is in Delaware. My peppers are very, very small.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:07 AM

Vichel- I love your olives. I have never seen real olives being grown. Very cool.

si33- Since you show the people at work your Allspice leaves can you share with us?

CaroleM- So glad some of you are picking tomatoes. Still waiting in the mountains of TN. My peppers are also tiny. I'm not sure if my season will be long enough for them.

Well I did get my very first zucchini today, a couple of very small peppers(the plant was getting to heavy), a cuke, a couple of squash and some bush beans. My bush bean plants are not really producing. They are buried and I don't think they get enough light.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden