Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2010, 05:13 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,344,065 times

Advertisements

Gardener wife's Asian persimmons are getting ripe and are wonderful. She has three kinds and all are the normal orange in color. One is like persimmon flavored sugar, one is crisp like an apple but with persimmon taste, and one looks like chocolate inside and is crisp, but has the normal persimmon taste. An Asian lady stopped by to visit and talk about the persimmons and said there is one that is flat in form and is crisp. Needless to say, I expect UPS to deliver that plant most any day now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 06:52 PM

947 posts, read 3,398,825 times
Hi there.

after years of thinking I did not like persimmons, tried one in school as a kid, a friend of mine offered me to taste- she was Vietnamese, so maybe i tried the real dry kind, would that be the Asian kind?
anyway, it was dry and did not care for it...
today at a farmers market, wow, got a few of the round, ... flatter ones that are lighter in color and yummy!!!
what kind are these?

fun to (re) discover foods!

Old 11-08-2010, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by need4Trees View Post
Hi there.

after years of thinking I did not like persimmons, tried one in school as a kid, a friend of mine offered me to taste- she was Vietnamese, so maybe i tried the real dry kind, would that be the Asian kind?
anyway, it was dry and did not care for it...
today at a farmers market, wow, got a few of the round, ... flatter ones that are lighter in color and yummy!!!
what kind are these?

fun to (re) discover foods!
They are not dry. I know nothin' 'bout them. Wife grows em - I eat em

Old 11-08-2010, 08:27 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,595,028 times
I like the persimmons that tastes of cinnamon. I'm not a fan of the large pointy variety that's eaten gushy & pulpy.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:03 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,859,761 times
I brought one home from the nursery last August and even change its location in February. I was happy to see it sprung new leafs in the spring and thought to myself "Good, in a couple of years I will have tasty persimmons". Imagine my pleasant surprise when it flowered and I ended up with 9 persimmons at the end of season!

What I like about Asian persimmons is that you can eat them when they're still crunchy, or wait till they're ripe & soft. They taste sweet in either case.

Old 11-20-2010, 08:22 AM

23,308 posts, read 16,994,613 times
Default NJ simmons

Persimmons are the sugar plums of The night Before Christmas.

I have two trees started form suckers taken from a native simmon tree. It took years but finally they began to produce fruit which ripen in November while the parent plant wasn't good until January.

There is an older oriental with native cuttings growing in the middle of town that produces good crops almost every year in mid December.

I use the Euell Gibbons book for some basic Rxs. The purple color of the 'bread' is as attractive as the taste. Many years I add wild shagbark hickory nuts that contribute a maple walnut flavor. Lot of work.

"Possum in the simmon tree, raccoon on the ground,
Hey brother possum, throw some simmons down"

Old 11-20-2010, 05:18 PM

And around here many, many years ago, those green native simmons made great slingshot ammo. They would make a blister on your back or butt, or your head if you didn't dodge fast enough. Oh the memories

Old 11-20-2010, 09:06 PM

18,929 posts, read 43,241,377 times
I have a 'Fuyu' oriental persimmon and some native ones ( I leave the natives for the critters). The Fuyu is kinda crisp like an apple, just depends on how ripe you let it get, it's non astringent though.

A lady up the street has a Tamopan persimmon tree that has funny shaped fruit. Her tree is loaded every year although i have never tasted them.

Old 11-24-2010, 10:47 PM

Here are pix of wife's chocolate persimmon. They are about all gone. When she gives them to friends or neighbors she alerts them about the dark inside so they will not think they are spoiled. They are gooooood!
Attached Thumbnails
Asian Persimmons-sdc10284.jpg   Asian Persimmons-sdc10288.jpg  

Old 12-05-2010, 01:45 PM

Here are the last of our Asian Persimmons. These are a little larger than a regulation soft-ball, and were gooood!
Attached Thumbnails
Asian Persimmons-sdc10304.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden