Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 05:01 AM

596 posts, read 2,867,372 times

Advertisements

So, if you already have what appears to be a healthy mimosa growing in your yard, do you bring it down and dispose of it or leave it alone? We have one, too. I dont like the idea of spreading any diseases but as for the other work involved in caring for a yard with this tree, I dont mind (ie tearing out seedlings or cleaning up seed pods). The vascular wilt doesnt sound good. But the more I think about it, I may have trees in the yard with all kinds of weird diseases or fungi and not have a clue. As I read about vascular wilt, I came across something on cankers in trees and I know one of my pines has one! These things can spread...weird.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 08:23 AM

593 posts, read 2,883,715 times
Personally I would take it down but I've seen the damage first hand I volunteer a lot of time cleaning out exotic pest plants out of the woods anyway. There are some trees that are invasive or naturalized that I might not rush to clear out but mimosa is a much higher threat in the southeast.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:36 AM

596 posts, read 2,867,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagbark Hickory View Post
Personally I would take it down but I've seen the damage first hand I volunteer a lot of time cleaning out exotic pest plants out of the woods anyway. There are some trees that are invasive or naturalized that I might not rush to clear out but mimosa is a much higher threat in the southeast.
What sort of damage do you see? Its hard to get a visualization on what you might see and have to remove due to mimosa damage. Is it fairly obvious to pick out once you've seen it? Is it "crooked" tree trunks that have that vascular wilt?

I will take a pic of mine and post it later today to get more info on removal or not. Do ALL mimosas carry or spread disease, or is it only diseased ones that do this? If they dont all have disease, then what we're most worried about is the life of the seeds and the spread of this tree over years? Thanks.

Old 07-20-2009, 11:19 AM

593 posts, read 2,883,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jctx View Post
What sort of damage do you see? Its hard to get a visualization on what you might see and have to remove due to mimosa damage. Is it fairly obvious to pick out once you've seen it? Is it "crooked" tree trunks that have that vascular wilt?

I will take a pic of mine and post it later today to get more info on removal or not. Do ALL mimosas carry or spread disease, or is it only diseased ones that do this? If they dont all have disease, then what we're most worried about is the life of the seeds and the spread of this tree over years? Thanks.
The type of damage I am talking about is damage to forests and other natural areas where they self sow and aggressively take over choking out native plants. I believe others may have been referring to the possibility that they may spread disease or insects. That is another reason. Mimosas are also known to release or at least contain an alleopathic chemical that can supress the growth of other plants including plants you want to have in your garden.

Old 07-20-2009, 02:05 PM

1,765 posts, read 7,303,981 times
Quote:
So, if you already have what appears to be a healthy mimosa growing in your yard, do you bring it down and dispose of it or leave it alone? We have one, too. I dont like the idea of spreading any diseases but as for the other work involved in caring for a yard with this tree, I dont mind (ie tearing out seedlings or cleaning up seed pods). The vascular wilt doesnt sound good. But the more I think about it, I may have trees in the yard with all kinds of weird diseases or fungi and not have a clue. As I read about vascular wilt, I came across something on cankers in trees and I know one of my pines has one! These things can spread...weird.
If you do not cut it down, you'll be at least partly responsible for this tree spreading offspring into any surrounding area that is not mowed or kept up regularly (provided you live south of zone 5). So if there's a clump of trees or woodline that you or others enjoy viewing now, picture it lined with mimosas in 5-10 years. Not only would I cut it down. I'd encourage anyone else in the area to do the same and offer to buy them a native bare-root seedling to replace it :-)

Old 07-22-2009, 12:40 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,236,786 times
Quote:

jctx...

Waiting to see the photo of your mimosa.

I wonder if this is a south east issue only. I see many mimosa growing in the midwest. Many people have them in their yards...their pastures. I'm not aware of this tree causing problems. No pests that were aware of.
Everything is growing great in our yards & pasture. Flowers are blooming...trees are blooming.
We do have a LOT of bee's & bumble bee's this year. We didn't have many the last few years, but they have made up for it this year.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:24 PM

20,867 posts, read 23,399,041 times
I have always wondered what that tree was called. See them growing wild all over the place. They are beautiful though. Thought about planting one, now not so sure. Can anyone recommend a fast growing but small, 15 to 20 ft, tree to plant?

Old 07-23-2009, 02:05 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,691,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
I have always wondered what that tree was called. See them growing wild all over the place. They are beautiful though. Thought about planting one, now not so sure. Can anyone recommend a fast growing but small, 15 to 20 ft, tree to plant?
"Natchez" crepe myrtle fits that description.

Old 07-24-2009, 10:19 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,691,784 times
I'm back to correct myself. I was reading the new Southern Living last night and they listed the various crepe myrtles and their sizes. They listed 'Natchez' in the "more than 20 feet" list. In the "10-20 feet" list was 'Catawba; (purple), 'Osage' (pink), 'Sioux'(pink), and 'Watermelon Red' (red).

I'm not sure about the growth rate of these varieties....all I have is the 'Natchez' and some of the older varieties that don't grow as quickly as the new varieties. They were already here when we bought our house. Generally, though, if it has an "Indian" sounding name, it should be one of the newer varieties....there is a whole series of new cultivars that they gave Indian-sounding names. You can google the name of the color you want above and see what the growth rate is, and maybe somebody here has experience with some of them.

My 'Natchez' is growing like a weed! All of the others ('Natchez') that I've observed around here do, too.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:46 PM

1 posts, read 2,347 times
Question Mimosa Blooming Patterns

Hello to all-does anyone have any expert knowledge about why a Mimosa tree in Southern Ohio (that gets plenty of sun)would flower one summer when we first bought it, then grow alot with only an occasional bloom the next summer? It was so wonderful last summer and this year it seems to be all about growing. I miss the beautiful flowers in mid to late summer when most else is done flowering in Ohio. Does this have anything to do with pruning or not pruning? I have read alot of people's thoughts on this but no one seems to be sure. Any experts out there with horticultural training, education or special knowledge? Thanks so much
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden