Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 08:21 PM

596 posts, read 2,867,853 times

Advertisements

I will post some pics of close ups of the leaves and then one a bit further back. We dont know whether or not to uproot these or keep them. The first 4 photos are two side-by-side plants that seem identical except one bush has pink flowers, the other has white. The remaining 4 pics are of a leaf/tree sequence. Thanks for any help.
Attached Thumbnails
Do you know any of these plants?-flower1.jpg   Do you know any of these plants?-flower-bush1.jpg   Do you know any of these plants?-flower2.jpg   Do you know any of these plants?-flower-bush2.jpg   Do you know any of these plants?-leaf1.jpg  

Do you know any of these plants?-tree1.jpg   Do you know any of these plants?-leaf2.jpg   Do you know any of these plants?-tree2.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 08:28 PM

And a few more...
Attached Thumbnails
Do you know any of these plants?-leaf3.jpg   Do you know any of these plants?-tree3.jpg   Do you know any of these plants?-leaf4.jpg   Do you know any of these plants?-tree4.jpg   Do you know any of these plants?-grassy-flower.jpg  

Do you know any of these plants?-leaf5.jpg   Do you know any of these plants?-creeper5.jpg  

Old 07-12-2009, 11:19 PM

593 posts, read 2,884,331 times
The first 2 pics in the second post look like a Dogwood. The third looks like a rhododendron. The last two in that set kinda look like muscadine vines but I can't tell from the photo if that is a vine or a shrub so maybe you can shed some light on that. The first 2 in the first set look like azaleas. Where are you located?

Old 07-12-2009, 11:47 PM

15,966 posts, read 20,923,733 times
Those first couple of pictures look a lot like my Weigela.
Or could be Azalea too. I don't think I've ever seen a mature Azalea bush in someones yard that wasn't pruned to within an inch of it's life. I'm not real sure I'd recognize one in a 'natural' state.

Old 07-13-2009, 01:47 AM

2,035 posts, read 5,021,417 times
First couple pictures in the first post???..im thinking Abelia..looks alot like the same ones i took out of the yard last year....

The picture titled "grassy flower"..looks alot like the un-opened flower buds of Safflowers which are spiny like this one..and the grassy leaved things behind it look like lily turf(Liriope) or Agapanthus

Old 07-13-2009, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagbark Hickory View Post
The first 2 pics in the second post look like a Dogwood. The third looks like a rhododendron. The last two in that set kinda look like muscadine vines but I can't tell from the photo if that is a vine or a shrub so maybe you can shed some light on that. The first 2 in the first set look like azaleas. Where are you located?
Thank you Shagbark. I am in south-central NC. The photo that appears to be muscadine is definitely a vine - so that must be what it is. Now I am wondering if we should create a trellis to train it on or get rid of it. What are the pros and cons of having it? Attraction of animals? Wine-making? Choking out other plants?

Old 07-13-2009, 02:06 AM

2,035 posts, read 5,021,417 times
This species of Grape..which is what the muscadine type vines generally are..

Is probably a native species..and probably wouldn't make much if any good wine.. Id say keep it..and train to a trellis. Just keep in mind that they can be robust growing..and can climb high into nearby trees if it gets the opportunity to..so pruning it often, you might..

Old 07-13-2009, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Those first couple of pictures look a lot like my Weigela.
Or could be Azalea too. I don't think I've ever seen a mature Azalea bush in someones yard that wasn't pruned to within an inch of it's life. I'm not real sure I'd recognize one in a 'natural' state.
Thank you DubbleT!

Old 07-13-2009, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by si33 View Post
First couple pictures in the first post???..im thinking Abelia..looks alot like the same ones i took out of the yard last year....

The picture titled "grassy flower"..looks alot like the un-opened flower buds of Safflowers which are spiny like this one..and the grassy leaved things behind it look like lily turf(Liriope) or Agapanthus
Thanks!

Old 07-13-2009, 08:12 AM

593 posts, read 2,884,331 times
People actually DO make wine from muscadine... particularly in the carolinas. I do know of at least one winery in SC that does make wine from muscadines. These are edible and relished by wildlife so if you want wildlife... and a lot of people do, then keep it. If not, then remove it. You might also like it for the fall color.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden