Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 01:08 PM

433 posts, read 964,179 times

Advertisements

Or in the evening hours when the sun is not directly hitting the grass?

problem: i water everday in the afternoon but my grass is still getting brown. i'm in Northern VA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 03:31 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,021,695 times
Try early morning watering. Start sprinklers just after sunrise. Give yard a good soaking as long as needed. I wouldn't water in the evening as grass can become diseased easier due to overnight humidity. Don't waste your time and money watering in the middle of the day or late afternoon as it does little or no good; some grasses can get scalded from the hot sun and water.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:30 PM

137 posts, read 474,645 times
Our grass was so dry and no amount of water seemed to help. My DH bought some fertilizer from the garden center after talking with them. They were helpful and told him what to buy and how to use it. I agree that watering in the early AM is better, too, and that has made a big difference for us.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:36 PM

2,765 posts, read 8,327,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evidence-is-key View Post
Or in the evening hours when the sun is not directly hitting the grass?

problem: i water everday in the afternoon but my grass is still getting brown. i'm in Northern VA.
The problem is the grass on your lawn is not native to our area, so your grass is going dormant. This drying happens each year and it will come back in September.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:43 PM

I had assumed a southern style grass, but forgot that Va is at the top of the South and may have bluegrass, etc. Since that won't grow in the deep south, I can't really comment on it. Our grass down here goes dormant in December and stays dormant until sometime in March. I apologize for any inconvenience.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:31 PM

593 posts, read 2,894,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwell View Post
I had assumed a southern style grass, but forgot that Va is at the top of the South and may have bluegrass, etc. Since that won't grow in the deep south, I can't really comment on it. Our grass down here goes dormant in December and stays dormant until sometime in March. I apologize for any inconvenience.

Your advice was still spot on. Tall fescue is the most common grass of northern VA and it can get diseased if overwatered and left to sit damp overnight. That region is unbelievably humid.

I
will
just
add
for the OP...

1"-1.5" on water per week. That's it.
Rain counts towards the total.
Get a rain guage and make sure the water is getting into the soil and not running off.

Over watering can lead to turf that is less drought tolerant, and you'll end up with a whole lotta crabgrass in a sea of fungus.

Do not put down any fertilizer until cool weather returns in sep/oct and begins actively growing and greens up again

Old 07-13-2009, 07:48 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,958,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagbark Hickory View Post
Tall fescue is the most common grass of northern VA and it can get diseased if overwatered and left to sit damp overnight.
How about Bermuda grass? Does it easily get diseased if water at evening as well?

Old 07-13-2009, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
How about Bermuda grass? Does it easily get diseased if water at evening as well?
It's pretty stout, so it may not be affected as much as the others. Can't be around it since I'm allergic to it. I have Centipede and my last house had St. Augustine. Those two need more attention than bermuda around NW La. I do know that bermuda is more drought tolerant than most other grasses, shouldn't need much water.

Last edited by hdwell; 07-13-2009 at 08:17 PM.. Reason: adding info

Old 07-13-2009, 10:29 PM

1,266 posts, read 5,611,928 times
I also live in Northern VA. We have Bluegrass. I've been watering it every other day in the evening because that is what is convenient for me. Hubby put some summer guard fertilizer on it a few weeks ago. I hate to brag, but I am because we have the best looking yard in the neighborhood. Unlike most other lawns, ours is still lush and green. We still have to deal with a couple of dry patches, because no telling what's under there (large rocks... clay... plywood. I've seen it all!) If you haven't been watering it during this lack of rain, you can't make your grass green over night, but at least give it some water. For example, a 5 minute sprinkling isn't going to cut it. You have to really soak it.

I've also had hubby cut the grass less often in an effort to not stress the lawn. Finally talked him into raising the lawnmower up another notch just to neaten up the grass because it was getting shaggy. So when I came home today I was shocked to see how good the lawn looked after he cut it.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:38 PM

593 posts, read 2,894,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
No unfortunately it does not get diseased as easily.
St. Augustine and Zoysia are more disease prone in the warm season department.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden