U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-14-2009, 04:31 AM

2,072 posts, read 5,393,981 times
Default How do I get rid of a Groundhog?

I don't want to trap it. Does ammonia or moth balls work? I heard used kitty litter but I don't have a cat. Also Juicy Fruit gum. Any suggestions?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 04:39 AM

6,798 posts, read 3,291,507 times
Personally, I would love to have a yard with my own groundhog, and a fox, some bunnies, etc. What a treat to see something wild in today's sterile world. We spend hours in the wilderness and see nothing on many occasions.

Of course, I realize others don't value that as much as I, so, here's a place to start.

How to Get Rid of Groundhogs (Woodchucks)

Old 07-14-2009, 05:09 AM

7,627 posts, read 7,486,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Personally, I would love to have a yard with my own groundhog, and a fox, some bunnies, etc. What a treat to see something wild in today's sterile world. We spend hours in the wilderness and see nothing on many occasions.

Of course, I realize others don't value that as much as I, so, here's a place to start.

I m with you I saw a wild rabbit last year and that was the first time I had seen a wild rabbit in yrs . I dont think we have enough as it is .

Old 07-14-2009, 07:29 AM

3,087 posts, read 2,879,465 times
I have not had to deal with groundhogs, but have had great success with pocket gophers by soaking cotton balls in amonia, and stuffing every tunnel with it, then sealing the tunnel with soil and a big rock. This did not kill them (I don't think), but kept them on the other side of the fence. . . property adjoined a golf course.

Old 07-14-2009, 07:50 AM

3,128 posts, read 4,633,221 times
12 gauge buckshot.

kidding

Old 07-14-2009, 07:59 AM

2,377 posts, read 3,359,052 times
Why would you not want to trap it? I have them every year and they can destroy a garden overnight!!! Hav-a-heart traps do not injure them at all...Of course once you have them, it's your decision on how to dispose of them...you can always take them a few miles away and let them free...

Old 07-14-2009, 08:09 AM

16,198 posts, read 14,912,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trudy Rose View Post
Why would you not want to trap it? I have them every year and they can destroy a garden overnight!!! Hav-a-heart traps do not injure them at all...Of course once you have them, it's your decision on how to dispose of them...you can always take them a few miles away and let them free...

Thereby transferring the problem to someone else.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:25 AM

2,377 posts, read 3,359,052 times
I said could let them go. I don't think it's fair to inflict them on someone else either... and I don't

Old 07-14-2009, 08:51 AM

1,295 posts, read 2,423,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post

Here in south central Kentucky my wife and I have a small garden and we also have baby rabbits and adult rabbits that like our garden. We are putting up wire fence around it so we can enjoy our little friends also.

Our backyard mascot is Woody the large woodchuck or groundhog. We like when he comes around and also his younguns. They are fun to watch and stand on their hind legs they are about 30 inchs tall.

I would never get rid of them cause they have to eat and live somewhere too, and if they stay here they are at least safe.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:02 AM

16,198 posts, read 14,912,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trudy Rose View Post
I said could let them go. I don't think it's fair to inflict them on someone else either... and I don't

My joking tone of voice didn't transfer through the computer.

In MD it's illegal to trap and release elsewhere nuisance wildlife, especially foxes, raccoons and skunks. That's because of rabies. I had a raccoon getting into my crawl space a couple years ago, had to call DNR for an emergency trapping permit and take the animal to the County animal shelter where it was gassed. They had to have the trapping permit number.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden