U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2009, 09:49 AM

821 posts, read 1,799,455 times

Advertisements

I have plenty of corn and was giving it away
someone ask me if it was GMO corn (which I had to look that up)
genetically modified

I don't know the answer and need some help
all I know is I buy the seed from the co-op and plant it

some people are picky when they get free stuff I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 09:56 AM

33,875 posts, read 42,085,992 times
Technically any hybrid is "genetically modified". Corn is probably the most hybridized plant there is over the last few thousand years.

Peaches n Cream has been around for a long time, I think.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:24 AM

24,973 posts, read 23,882,175 times
Peaches 'n cream is categorized as a hybrid, not GMO.

"Hybrids should not be confused with genetically modified organisms or (GMOs) which, according to About.comís Biotech Guide, can be any plant, animal or microorganism which have been genetically altered using molecular genetics techniques such as gene cloning and protein engineering."

What's the Difference Between Hybrid, Heirloom and Genetically Modified Vegetables?

Old 10-07-2009, 01:48 PM

15,847 posts, read 30,345,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rach1966 View Post
I have plenty of corn and was giving it away
someone ask me if it was GMO corn (which I had to look that up)
genetically modified

I don't know the answer and need some help
all I know is I buy the seed from the co-op and plant it

some people are picky when they get free stuff I guess.
I get the feeling from your post that you are not planting this as a commercial crop on hundreds of acres. I get the feeling that you are planting it for your own consumption.

In my case, I plant and grow only heirloom varieties. Now, I will grant you that Stover's Evergreen and Country Gentleman corn is *not* nearly as sweet as the non-heirloom varieties. But they do have a delicious, old fashioned "corn" flavor that I actually prefer over the uber sweet varieties.

What is great about heirlooms is that there is never a danger of GMO *and* you can save the seed from one year to the next.

If I were you, I would skip the freebie, and buy some safe non-gmo seed (see rareseeds.com for a great source). If you are like most folks, you can plant your entire garden in seed for less than $50 (depending on the size of your garden, I guess).

20yrsinBranson
just say NO to GMO

Old 05-30-2010, 12:33 PM

7,088 posts, read 13,039,288 times
I've been growing "Incredible" for the last eight years, really like it, it is kinda sweet, will normally eat two or three ears raw before I get the rest back inside the house. I used the last of my Incredible seed this year, finished out the other three rows with "Peaches and Cream". Mine is just a household garden, 5 , one hundred foot rows. This will last us for a while. Might try some of the heirloom varieties next year, thanks for the tip on them.

Old 05-30-2010, 12:54 PM

2,542 posts, read 5,990,071 times
Thank you for starting this thread. My Spring was a horrible one and having just moved here last December, I had to start from scratch. I had an awesome heirloom variety picked out, but my order didn't process (internet ). In the end, I just grabbed some packets from Home Depot, including Peaches and Cream. I don't mind hybrids, but would rather not have GMOs. I thought PnC was a regular old hybrid, but now I know for sure!

Old 05-24-2014, 08:16 PM

2 posts, read 20,629 times
Try some of the GMO varieties. I think you will be very pleasantly surprised! They offer many advantages over the older varieties and the flavor and tenderness can't be beat. I have been growing Obsession II & Passion II for three years. My patch covers about 1/3 acre and I supply corn for both eating fresh and freezing for many extended family members and nieghbors. Nearly all of them have told me they have never had such nice corn.

Last edited by Farmer Otis; 05-24-2014 at 08:32 PM.. Reason: correct misspelling

Old 05-25-2014, 10:20 AM

22,653 posts, read 28,672,666 times
Peaches and Cream is not GMO. OP, you will not be buying any GMO seed without knowing full well it is a GMO plant and you will be paying extra for the seeds. You'll have to sign a licensing agreement.

There are no GMO seeds on the seed rack at your local store. Those GMO seeds are seeds for farmers.

Old 06-08-2014, 10:31 AM

2 posts, read 20,629 times
You are 100% correct OREGONWOODSMOKE. But Obsession II & Passion II ARE GMO and I did pay a lot extra and I did sign a licensing agreement!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden