U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 05:53 AM

261 posts, read 503,432 times

Advertisements

Hello All

I was wondering if anyone has ever put cardboard down and then mulch as a weed barrier in your garden. We have land that was CRP for over 20 years and this year was the first till and planting of our huge attempt at a garden, about 100ftx300ft. We are first year rural gardeners ourselves. Prior gardening was restricted to retaining walls behind previous apartment, small patches along side walks, pots, balconies, and early childhood gardening in Texas.

All of what we have planted are growing, and quickly, but to cut down on weeds and to provide raw material for next years garden we have begun taking clean cardboard, no glossy or tape, and put it down before rough mulch. Our thoughts are by next year we will have a much more nutrient rich garden. What do you think or have you done this yourself?

I will post photos

Last edited by QwertyFarmer; 07-17-2009 at 06:18 AM.. Reason: spelling, oops
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 06:40 AM

26,163 posts, read 17,435,558 times
It's called No Dig Gardening. I saw an article about it recently. You are supposed to put down fertilizer first then newspaper and cardboard. I didn't have any fertilizer but just put down newspaper and cardboard and try to keep it damp. oh yes I put mulch over it all so I didn'[t have to look at cardboard in my back yard. It is supposed to take at least 2 -3 months. I may have piled on too muxch cardboard but it surely has kept down the weeds. Come fall it should be ready.

Old 07-17-2009, 07:43 AM

Default This is when we started

Old 07-17-2009, 07:44 AM

Default This is today

Old 07-17-2009, 07:51 AM

593 posts, read 1,706,677 times
Seems like a time consuming, if not expensive alternative to pre-emergence herbicides. Are you trying to keep this an all organic garden? What are the soil temps in your area, with cardboard and without?

Old 07-17-2009, 08:19 AM

99 posts, read 203,183 times
Default cardboard city

hey good day, i too used cardboard as a base to keep down weeds, i was way up north in nova scotia, and alas it still worked, i also got coffee grinds from local coffee shop and layered on the cardboard for slow release nitrogen during breakdown of cardboard, starbucks or local shops will give them for free, remember the coffee grinds can burn delicate plants so lay in between beds for best results, oh yeah the decomposing cardboard and grinds may bring some critters, but that is part of the great outdoors. good luck the gardens look great, congrats

Old 07-17-2009, 08:39 AM

Default Ouch, no chemicals please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagbark Hickory View Post
Seems like a time consuming, if not expensive alternative to pre-emergence herbicides. Are you trying to keep this an all organic garden? What are the soil temps in your area, with cardboard and without?
We will NEVER use any chemicals on our land, we have this produce garden, a young fruit tree orchard, and berry & grape vine rows. One of our neighbors is an organic dairy farmer, he hays and grows corn on the land we do not use yet, including between the trees and berries. This land was untouched until last year when the house was built.

We feel very strongly about the negative effects of chemicals in and around our land. I do not even let contractors smoke on our property, they must sit in their own car and put the butt somewhere in their car.

Our soil temps are on the cooler side, with bouts of hot temps. We will be starting plants in cold frames next year. I also expect critters and will address them as they come. Will ask for advice when needed.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:56 AM

444 posts, read 453,609 times
While I have never used cardboard, I have always done the 2-layer newspaper and then grass clippings loaded on the top. I put little bits of fertilizer right next to the plants and have had amazing luck.

The best part is it all just tillls back end at the end of the growing season!

Old 07-17-2009, 09:05 AM

481 posts, read 148,015 times
We use straw in our veggie garden. In our general landscaping we use newspaper covered with large wood chips or redwood bark. Works really well!

The landscape fabric only works for a couple of years, then you have the hassle of trying to remove it. Yuk.

Old 07-17-2009, 11:10 AM

2,993 posts, read 1,561,251 times
beautiful farm land there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden