U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 09:43 PM

1,508 posts, read 5,384,621 times

Advertisements

Stink horn mushrooms.
These are the absolute worst, most disgusting thing ever created. Forgive me for not posting a photo. If you google it, you can easily see what I'm referring to. You will be shocked to see what they resemble.

Has anyone ever encountered these wretched smelly mushrooms?
Do you know of any way to kill them?
We have been turning over the mulch & removing their golfball size eggs.

But they keep coming back !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 10:36 AM

22,717 posts, read 21,770,674 times
I had a couple for the first time this year after all of the June rain. They really are weird and disgusting looking. You've had more than a few, they keep coming back? Since they grow in damp mulch I'd remove some or all of it where they're coming up. Fungi like acid soil so applying lime might help.

Old 07-20-2009, 12:24 PM

Talking Lime

Thanks for the advice !!
I'm heading out to the store to buy lime TODAY. Wish me luck !

Old 07-20-2009, 07:41 PM

22,717 posts, read 21,770,674 times
A fungicide would work but they are pretty strong. I'd only consider them as a last resort. With lime, you won't see immediate results, but you may not have as many in the fall rainy season or next year. Luck!

Old 07-20-2009, 07:51 PM

13,506 posts, read 29,454,867 times
I have the octopus stinkhorn but I have them during the winter and early spring, once summer gets here they're gone. Mine started when I used my wood chipper at the edge of the woods, so I'm assuming it's the decaying wood chips that they love. On a breezy winter day my backyard sometimes smells like a garbage dump, thank goodness I don't have close neighbors.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:54 PM

99 posts, read 286,246 times
Default stinky

wow i had one of these pop up in the front of the house today, we have had these a few times this year, my husband thought something was dead in the bushes, i limed, well low and behold that apparently helps, i dug it out right away, but i swear it frightens people away, omg, i put lavendar oil on the door step to try and deter the stink. i mean these things can make you gag with their stink, putrid, dirty smell. i love nature

Old 07-20-2009, 09:14 PM

Default sick joke on hubby

LOL My husband swears that I am re-planting the mushrooms just to drive him crazy !!!
Every time I announce "They're baaaaack" ...lol

He's working OT so these new poopy shoots will have to wait until his day off! I am certainly NOT touching them nor will I go near them !! Ewwwwww

Old 07-20-2009, 11:06 PM

4,896 posts, read 5,867,686 times
I have had them this year(first time ever) and I dig and dig and dig and then put all in a plastic bag and seal it up before dumping, They stink, they look horrible and I hate them. I will say, this year, I have had more fungi come up in my yard than ever before and some of it is very strange looking.

It became a routine to patrol my front yard every day and I must have looked like a hound dog, walking slowing and sniffing the wind........then attack !! I did spray the last one with some roundup. I will try the lime, also, for next year.

They are awful !

Old 07-21-2009, 09:03 AM

4,749 posts, read 6,150,756 times
I had one come up a couple of years ago in some leaf litter. I took a picture and looked it up. It was the orange, phallic-shaped type. It withered away once the sun came up. Funny, I didn't smell anything stinky. Haven't had any more, guess I was lucky!

Old 10-14-2009, 09:18 PM

1 posts, read 9,083 times
Default Stink Horns

I recently had stinkhorns in my garden and have had some luck in getting rid of the so far. When I first discovered them they seem to have grown overnight. I went to pick it up like you do with mushrooms in the yard and it fell apart in my hand. It is verry mushy or wet. I then dug down into the soil and underneath the mushroom with a small shovel and carefully lifted them out being careful not to let it fall to the ground. The mushroom that you see is connected to white bals connected together by a root system similiar to ollar weeeds. After removing the ballsthey look for small pink seeds in the soil. In some places I had to dig down to the yellow dirt to find most of them. You will have to go back several times before you can get them undercontrol. So in short:
(1) Using a small shovel go underneathe the stink horn and carefully remove.
(2) Dig down into the ground a remove whie balls connected together by a root system.
(3) Dig down into the soil verry carefully sift thru and remove small pink seeds. These are also in clusters and you may have to go down to the yellow dirt.
(4) Repeat as offten as necessary until you get them under control.

I hope that this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden