Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 04:44 PM

16 posts, read 160,763 times

Advertisements

There are bees living someplace in our car (they are buzzing around the rear door seam). They don't seem to be primarily in the passenger cabin...possibly are inside the door-frame though? I have watched and cannot tell exactly where they are coming/going from.

I don't mind spraying chemicals in and around the area, and frankly would like to burn them out with a flamethrower, but I do need to use the car.

Probably would like to try to tackle this myself before calling an exterminator, due to cost.

I have a yard sprayer and can mix and spray chemicals or just get a can of spray. I don't know what kind of bees they are either. They're not honey-bees, and they're not hornets (at least not the two-body parted hornets that I'm familiar with). Smallish and mostly yellow. Could be wasps I suppose, from images I was able to find from a google search.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 05:14 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,676,988 times
Have they built a nest in the wheel well or underneath the car?

Old 07-25-2009, 05:41 PM

16 posts, read 160,763 times
Not that I can locate. They are definitely going in around where the door shuts, so it doesn't appear to be under the car or wheel well. I've opened the door and watched for a while and cannot determine where, specifically, they're going. Guess I need to spend some more time watching. They've buzzed around me a bit, but were not landing on me and I haven't been stung. I do not see any inside of the car if I open a door on the other side (4 door car, FYI), though some will wander inside when I open the door they're flying to.

Old 07-25-2009, 06:26 PM

2,467 posts, read 4,859,032 times
I found Spectracide PRO Wasp & Hornet Killer is a great insecticide for killing wasps, hornets, yellow jackets and mud daubers. Those are what are listed on the can, but I'm sure it will also kill bees as well, though I've never used it on bees. The stuff works up to four weeks at killing the boogers from one use barring any rain or water which might wash off or dilute the chemicals. I found it at Home Depot, and it comes in a can ready to use like Black Flag, but it may be other places besides there.

I would spray the stuff around any openings that you see them coming in and out of, spray it into any holes in the door panels and anywhere else that they may come in and out of. All they have to do is touch the stuff and it gets them so if they land on or crawl through any place that has been sprayed it gets them. They can even carry the stuff back to their nest/s on their legs or bodies and contaminate the nest with the insceticide and help kill the whole nest including the queen.

I have sprayed this stuff in (actually under hoods without opening up the hoods, just through small cracks) and around my car and my hubby's old truck and I have not noticed any damage to the paint jobs, so so far it has not been a concern for me about ruining my paint job on my car which could be a possible concern.

I have kept my wasp and hornet population down extensivly with this stuff. I hardly see any wasps or hornets around my place. I just go out in the spring and start spraying any place that I think they would like building a nest and spray it down. I have found a couple of nests, but they were in areas I hadn't sprayed and once I found them I got rid of them ASAP before they could become a problem. I try and buy a half dozen or so cans as soon as it hits the shelves to use all summer long. I have a huge yard and lots of places that they could build nests that is why I buy so many. I just go out every 3-4 weeks and respray. It has been so nice to be able to go outside and not worry about being attacked and bothered by wasps, yellow jackets and hornets. Before I found this stuff we couldn't enjoy eating out on our back deck without them things wanting to eat our food or us.

Old 07-25-2009, 06:32 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
i would take this car and have a mechanic locate it and then you can spray . but I would not tear my car apart looking for it and you may never locate it . I wish you luck I hate bees due to my allergy of them and this is a horrible season for them . I wish you luck and a mechanic should not charge you much to tell you where it is .

Old 07-25-2009, 09:15 PM

228 posts, read 1,000,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
i would take this car and have a mechanic locate it and then you can spray . but I would not tear my car apart looking for it and you may never locate it . I wish you luck I hate bees due to my allergy of them and this is a horrible season for them . I wish you luck and a mechanic should not charge you much to tell you where it is .

I dont think I would want to drive it till they were gone! And, if I was a mechanic, I wouldnt want someone bringing in a car full of bees/wasp/whatever they are!! But, I would spray like the other poster said, and then call someone out if that didnt get rid of them.

Old 07-26-2009, 06:51 AM

24,388 posts, read 23,044,056 times
I had two cars and in the spring I'd see yellowjackets buzzing around the street parked car. They'd be after the pollen from the neighbors poplar tree, which would coat the car in a green dust. I would find wasp nests inside the rear view side mirrors, under the back doors inside( they didn't get used much). They'd also make a nest in the mailbox or under the garage door eave.
Some Raid or Black Flag would end their construction efforts.

Old 07-26-2009, 01:03 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,858,867 times
Cover the car with a big plastic tarp, anchored down on all sides. Get a can of spray that affect the bees nervous system so it doesn't have to make body contact. Spray it up under the tarp and run! That might work!

Old 07-28-2009, 05:40 PM

481 posts, read 805,947 times
See if you can locate a beekeeper. They will come over to try to entice the swarm out. Swarms start when a beehive gets more than one queen, so one queen is taken out by the swarm and they go look for a new home. A beekeeper might love to get another beehive.

Old 07-28-2009, 06:08 PM

357 posts, read 1,018,849 times
good advice, No bees= no food.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apples&Oranges View Post
See if you can locate a beekeeper. They will come over to try to entice the swarm out. Swarms start when a beehive gets more than one queen, so one queen is taken out by the swarm and they go look for a new home. A beekeeper might love to get another beehive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden