U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-26-2009, 09:58 AM
Status: "Never have a battle of wits with someone who is unarmed." (set 6 days ago)

22,740 posts, read 14,333,680 times
Default Did anybody watch Victory Garden yesterday about the San Francisco Community Garden

Or betterr yet is anybody here familiar with the burlap sausage rolls filled with wheat they used for their communituy Garden?
I can't find plans on the web and I also need to know where to buy cheap burlap in large quantities. It looked really neat and I would love to try it next year so i'm looking into how to get supplies now. they said the sausage rolls last about 5 years-just about the same time untreated lumber will last.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 12:18 AM

2,036 posts, read 2,967,666 times
Though i missed this..the new community garden there is often in the news locally..and should be an inspiration for other communities across the country who don't yet have one..

As for the burlap, have you tried a local farming supply and feed type of store in your area..id imagine that they..or a local major hardware store would have burlap in bulk..

Old 07-29-2009, 09:59 AM
Status: "Never have a battle of wits with someone who is unarmed." (set 6 days ago)

22,740 posts, read 14,333,680 times
it was fascinating and quite attractive with key hole type entry for maintenance. they gave away two football fields of sod with a professional sod cutter machine there and then installed these sausage type roles made out of burlap and straw and are growing all sorts of veggies and flowers. Sounds like a great community building and green endeavor. Any other communities with public veggie gardens using this method?

Old 07-31-2009, 02:12 AM

6,728 posts, read 7,294,939 times
LOL, now I understand! I thought that you were talking about sacks of grain. I've read articles, blogs about straw bale gardening though I haven't tried it.

Old 08-17-2009, 07:53 AM

1,608 posts, read 2,226,965 times
You may have already found out about this, but just in case, here is a link where you may be able to get some information or email someone to ask about the burlap rolls:

~ City Hall Gardens ~

Old 03-06-2011, 03:37 PM

1 posts, read 1,558 times
Victory Garden Hessian Burlap Community Garden Plans

Building a Burlap Raised Bed

It took me forever to find this. I hope it will help someone else out. Good luck.

[url=http://bandb.holage.com/Build_a_Raised_Bed.html]How to build a burlap & straw raised bed[/url]

[url]http://www.aldenlane.com/media/burlapbed.pdf[/url]

Last edited by Morenci; 03-06-2011 at 03:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden