Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2009, 03:56 PM

448 posts, read 1,605,861 times

Advertisements

I'm having the hardest time identifying this tree. I've gone to those tree self- identification websites and they all come up with trees that look nothing like the tree.

I want to line my house with these trees because they have that painted tree look. Can anyone help or have any idea what tree this is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 04:15 PM

3,748 posts, read 12,403,639 times
If possible, can you get a closer pic of the leaves. Its hard to tell from a distance

Old 07-27-2009, 06:36 PM

448 posts, read 1,605,861 times
Hopefully this helps. This is the only other picture I took of it over the weekend.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:34 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,860,287 times
It might be an elm.

Old 07-28-2009, 10:10 PM

625 posts, read 1,882,058 times
Nice textured bark. If you can get a better pic of a leaf or clump of leaves, that would be great.

Old 07-28-2009, 11:28 PM

2,035 posts, read 5,035,177 times
Agreed, it does resemble either a Chinese or Siberian Elm.. (going by bark color/trunk/canopy structure) but the jury is still out on this one..especially since there is..if you look down at the left hand corner of the picture..The Dark green, weepy looking tree looks much more like an elm then this one..

Also, if you look very closely, in the second picture, you can see evidence of what appear to be dead flower or fruit stalks at the end of each branch tip..so yes, closer pictures of the leaves would help clarify this one..besides that, it is a very well tended tree..

Old 07-29-2009, 12:22 AM

2,255 posts, read 5,397,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by si33 View Post
Agreed, it does resemble either a Chinese or Siberian Elm.. (going by bark color/trunk/canopy structure) but the jury is still out on this one..especially since there is..if you look down at the left hand corner of the picture..The Dark green, weepy looking tree looks much more like an elm then this one..

Also, if you look very closely, in the second picture, you can see evidence of what appear to be dead flower or fruit stalks at the end of each branch tip..so yes, closer pictures of the leaves would help clarify this one..besides that, it is a very well tended tree..
At first glance of the first photo, I thought it was a Chinese-Lacebark Elm as well because of it's shape and sillouette. However having seen the second photo, I notice it does'nt have that typical puzzle pieces looking bark pattern I'm so use to seening. The bark looks rather like the typical elm I'm use to seening in the USA

Here's an example of the tree trunk bark I'm speaking of.

Maybe it is an example of Siberian Elm. Here's a photo of one in Grand Junction, Colorado.

http://www.coloradotrees.org/champions/tree_images/e/elm_sib_big.jpg (broken link)

Now the only thing that would change my mind on it being a Siberian Elm is that the bark of that tree is like that of the more traditionally furrowed looking bark we are use to seeing. The second photo of the O.P. has a plated look rather than the deep furrowed look of the Siberian Elm. Here's what I mean.

I think you are right about the leaves. Somehow they look smoother than the ribbed elm leaf with the small teeth along the edges. Leaf close up photo would be great.

Old 07-29-2009, 04:37 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,208,767 times
Looks like an elm to me. I have one that is smaller, but has the same bark and leaves.

Beautiful tree!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden