U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 07-29-2009, 03:43 PM

596 posts, read 1,543,202 times
Default Black dots on leaves?

Anyone know what these black dots are on some of our tree leaves? I labelled the photos as "diseases" but I have no clue what it is...Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Black dots on leaves?-disease1.jpg   Black dots on leaves?-disease2.jpg   Black dots on leaves?-disease3.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 07-29-2009, 03:44 PM

Incidentally, I dont know what that tree is, either, I just chose some random greenery that had it on the leaves. However, there are some more attractive, desirable trees in the yard that have this on the leaves too.

Unread 07-29-2009, 04:05 PM

238 posts, read 584,389 times
I get something similar when we have a lot of rain. I assume it is a fungus.

Unread 07-29-2009, 06:57 PM

7,297 posts, read 8,964,971 times
Hope someone can identify the problem - my mountain laurels have the same problem. it seems when they get larger, the leaves turn yellow and yellower and then you can just "pick" them off (the leaves that is)

Unread 07-29-2009, 09:56 PM

4,282 posts, read 6,192,360 times
It looks like a fungus. Our local Maple trees get something very similar when we have cool and mosit conditions.

My problem is spider mites on my Ash tree. They curl the leaves which turn very yellow with black spotting.

Unread 07-29-2009, 10:26 PM

769 posts, read 1,265,303 times
Look up a picture of what they call black spot which is common on roses and lots of plants and shrubs..My guess is thats what you...
I would get a rake and clean out all around the plant.
you can take a couple of leaves to your local Ag Extension office and talk to a Master gardener about it..they can advise you on what it is and how to treat it..
good luck

Unread 07-30-2009, 06:37 AM

Thank you. I have learned that there is a master gardener living on my street and I have met her a couple of times. How does one acquire this title? Thanks for the information.

Unread 07-30-2009, 08:52 AM

769 posts, read 1,265,303 times
To be a master gardener, I'm an Oregon master gardener, you do about 12 weeks of classes and then payback volunteer time in venues that your local ag extension officer /master gardener program selects..So here in Oregon it was 66 hours -11 mondays of 6 hours a day of classes-then another 66 hours of payback time which included 40 hours on our phone help line and working on other garden projects..Its really quite interesting..We had some really neat speakers and a lot of fun..
Marion county has an active group that does things year around..
You can find a program by asking your neighbor or simply go to you master garadener.com of name your state first..
I'm not active in our group but use the knowledge as a volunteer at a wonderful place calll Oregon Gardens, working in the flower beds , talking with guests and just enjoying playing in the dirt..
A word don't go into the program unless you have the time meaning a year to devote to it..Its worth it..
Good luck and let me know how you doo.

Unread 07-30-2009, 09:02 AM
Status: "How can a slim chance and a fat chance be the same?" (set 20 hours ago)

19,436 posts, read 12,387,645 times
I had a B.S. in horticulture but still wanted to be a Master Gardner in GA. In 1981 we had 12 to 15 weeks of evening classes at the Atlanta Botanical Gardens and I can tell you it was as good as if not better than the BS in horticulture compared to practical advice and experience. We had local plants people, hybridizers, text book writers, garden TV show hosts and all sorts of wonderful speakers plus of course the course. The materials are quite valuable and I think I spent $50 on materials and then we had to volunteer 50 hours with the county agent with however he wanted to use us. You get a great little badge which I am very proud of

I did my volunteer projects by designing entrances for a few new subdivisions, going to people's yard to answer questions and doing soil tests at a local garden center.
It helps to have some practical experience or you will be lost. In my class we had golf course managers who were seeking turf grass management info and professional designers and landscape architects who usually have very little real planting and growing information. A great place to make new friends and learn so much.

Unread 07-31-2009, 07:05 AM

6,957 posts, read 6,501,071 times
LOOKS like black spot to me too get it on the roses all the time and it stinks trying to get rid of it . try ortho at the home depot and tell them you have black spot and they will show you what to use .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden