Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 05:38 PM

106 posts, read 253,506 times

Advertisements

We did red bark and some plants that don't need water. It looks great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 07:08 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,114,228 times
Ugh, just plant things that reseed. Echinacea, rudbeckia, agastache (hyssop), salvias, etc. Deer usually leave these alone, or maybe just a nibble. They'll eat every single bud off any day lilies, even the ditch growers we have here. If they reseed, you won't care if the city rips them out one morning. Just save seed when you can and toss more out in the spring.

Old 08-08-2009, 07:32 PM

1,194 posts, read 4,116,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla with a K View Post
Also remember that the heat will be coming from both the street & the sidewalk
I has a problem growing grass at the corner of the driveway & the street so I put in half circle beds
You home is similar to ours and we live in SE Florida. Try an aloe vera plant.

Our city laws do not allow the homeowner to plant in the swales but the city council does tolerate plants and Palms when in good taste. However, the can be removed at any time.

Homes must be built 33" above center of roadway. Our home is on the water plus all homes have a 4" wide stormwater drain running approximately 4' from the roadway and across the front of the homes to releave the large volumes of water that can deeply puddle when it rains. Once a month or so depending on the grass growth, a team of lawn servicing guys services and trims the drain edges in all swales.

Last edited by Synergy1; 08-08-2009 at 07:42 PM..

Old 08-09-2009, 12:30 PM

32,799 posts, read 36,054,162 times
If you choose plants which are drought tolerant, preferably reseed (as paperhouse pointed out) and are deer and rabbit resistant then all you have to worry about are the insects.

http://www.perennialfarm.com/images/...iends-Foes.PDF

A few other things that will work in that spot are Achillea, Nepeta, Gaillardia, Lavender.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
Ugh, just plant things that reseed. Echinacea, rudbeckia, agastache (hyssop), salvias, etc. Deer usually leave these alone, or maybe just a nibble. They'll eat every single bud off any day lilies, even the ditch growers we have here. If they reseed, you won't care if the city rips them out one morning. Just save seed when you can and toss more out in the spring.

Old 08-09-2009, 01:10 PM

737 posts, read 1,032,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
DH is about ready to put his foot down on how much more of the front yard I can make into flower beds so I have claimed that little strip between the sidewalk and the street.
Now I need suggestions for plants which will meet these criteria:

Deer Resistant
Full sun
Only rain water
not too bushy
tolerates poor soil

Now I know about the usual succulents and I figure they are pretty unappetizing to deer. I know about russian sage, correopsis, fragrant flowers and foliage but I don't want any cacti or mints.
Would the usual herbs get past the deer? Any other suggestions? can't use daylillies,cannas too tall. verbenas spill over into sidewalk. I don't want the HOA on my case. I should be able to think of more but I'm not used to the deer problems I have encountered here. I swear they would eat a plastic flower if given half a chance!!
The answer is plastic deer!

Old 08-09-2009, 01:55 PM

47,896 posts, read 21,902,593 times
I thought of this thread this morning when I read the newspaper....there was a whole article about gardening that sidewalk strip ... http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/st...275243&ac=Home

Old 08-11-2009, 09:37 AM

1,806 posts, read 5,688,893 times
Those look fantastic! Yepper...new plan.

Old 08-11-2009, 12:46 PM

36,499 posts, read 53,845,993 times
thanks for thinking of my OP when you saw the article. I think I will take my chances and start what we used to call a wildflower strip there...reseeding plants are a great bargain and I won't have much to lose if somebody decide they don't like it (HOA)

Old 08-13-2009, 09:17 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,705,068 times
Wow....I live in a small town, and this HOA stuff sounds like a nightmare. I wouldn't be able to STAND somebody always telling me what I could and couldn't do to my own property!

Hope your bed turns out well, OP!

Old 08-26-2009, 01:10 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,688,893 times
I just expanded my planting beds on the swale beyond the tired little mailbox border that was already there (P.O. unused) and have had good luck with an assortment of goodies...now have a stretch on either side and am thinning my one bountiful garden (the other 10 are in limbo) and placing plants from there.
Need much mulch and more elbow grease...but when it comes together I'll put up a picture.

P.S. digging up sod with a pick-ax in Alabama clay is a real...it was special.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden