Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 04:07 PM

1 posts, read 2,032 times

Advertisements

Sunflowers are routinely eaten by ground hogs. It's one of their favorite snacks if not indeed their favorite. If the sunflower is there in the morning and gone in the evening you have a ground hog. Ground hogs come out at dawn and dusk to feed. Beetles, slugs etc. will be seen by the gardener crawling on the sunflower long before they are able to destroy it. But the ground hog will eat the buds off the plant in a blink of an eye and then move onto the next one. Although if you take the time to watch one it really likes to savoy the sunflower like we would with a good wine.
Some folks think live trapping a ground hog is a good idea but it's not. In most states it's illegal. You may also be catching a mom who has left her kits in the den, in which case all of the kits will die of starvation-this is a terrible way for an animal to die-it's painful and can take up to a week for the animal to die. But even taking a male ground hog and relocating it is the same thing as killing it...but much slower and scarier for the animal. They have no idea where they are, they can't find their dens because they don't have one any more, they are easy prey because they haven't any where to hide and the list goes on...In my opinion it's not the humane thing to do unless you are a licensed wildlife expert.

There is ground hog deterrent spray on the market, I find it to work on my ground hog/ground hogs. They ate about 50 of my sunflowers before I found the spray. At first I really hated these animals for eating my flowers and then I read up about them. It's amazing how and what the mother does to care for her kits and how she finds each kit it's own den and keeps coming back to check up on each of them.

So try the spray, or try planting another flower besides the sunflower or do what I'm about to do in a few minutes...plant in a yard where there is a fence that the ground hogs can't get into easily....Hope this helped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 12:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,820 times
to wolftales:
can you be more specific about the spray you had success with discouraging woodchucks/groundhogs? if posting rules prohibit links and brand names, can you give a more detailed description? for example, i am looking at a product with several essential oils thjat uses gum arabic as a spreader-sticker. does that match the product you had success with?
musa17

Old 06-04-2017, 10:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,245 times
It's the squirrels. Nasty pests. Are back from a 2 day family reunion to find my beautiful 9 foot sunflower plant with 50+ blooming flowers completely ruined.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden