U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 07:28 PM

1,642 posts, read 4,521,298 times

Advertisements

Yeah, looking at those pictures I think the OP confused a coyote with a fox. I could not see a fox taking down a fawn, much less a full size deer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 07:32 PM

36,484 posts, read 43,738,878 times
It was definitely a coyote. Animal control says several other sightings in my area and a pack has been seen lately. Coyote and cars are only natural enemies of deer and our deer and fox and coyote populations are getting higher and higher each year and there is nothing anybody can do since no hunting in city limits. One neighbor will feed deer and even have a saltlick while other neighbor tries to grow garden which is taken out by deer. nobody wins. What is the solution? Please don't feed the deer. This is a big problem all over the country. My DH and children were hit by a deer last year and barely escaped serious injury but whole side of mini van was ruined. I can build a fence to keep them out of my yard but that just pushes them on down the line.

Old 08-09-2009, 01:13 PM

739 posts, read 849,986 times
Several sightings of cars were reported in the area...they also travel in packs!

Old 06-09-2013, 08:57 AM

1 posts, read 1,419 times
Default Fox attacks fawn

Yesterday I was sitting on my back deck and witnessed a red fox stalk a fawn, attack, kill it and drag into the field. I was about 50 yards away at the time. The fox kept an eye on me and waited a few minutes before attacking.

Old 06-10-2013, 11:57 PM

3,257 posts, read 4,474,703 times
I hope it was a fox too because yesterday when I went to my beach there was the hind legs of the tiniest fawn I ever saw and the rest of the body missing. I hope we don't have coyotes here. Haven't heard them at all. The other side of the metro has a lot of them and they howl like crazy all night long. We had a lost black bear cub on the beach last year, wonder if it would eat a fawn?

Old 06-11-2013, 07:35 AM

2,063 posts, read 6,513,092 times
Since it is a revived old thread many of the old posters are no longer here and involved but, just as Harold1956 may have witnessed, a hungry and strong fox may on occasion be able to bring down a small fawn. It is very rare and much more likely culprits in a lot of the suburban areas of the country are coyotes. They hunt individually and on occasion packs. I saw a pack hunt down a deer in winter and know that isn't a sight seen too often.

Fox, on the whole, are actually better to have around except if you raise chickens and other small/miniature livestock. They tend to go for animals smaller than they are; mice, rats, squirrels and chipmunks all of which can be a gardener's enemy. Most fox will be close to the size of a very large house cat, and are often mistaken for one at a distance. Their tail and walk will give them away pretty quickly. They are pretty good at hiding but are pretty neat to watch in the garden when hunting for a mouse.

NoKudzu's comment about the neighborhood dichotomy on deer seems to be a universal problem. Where I used to live there were people like that, too. It got less after more and more managed to come down with Lymes Disease and Erlichiosis and were afraid of deer coming in their yards. I suffered through both and gardened in battle mode with those critters for a long time.

Old 06-29-2013, 01:32 PM

14,381 posts, read 11,705,189 times
Twenty years ago I worked as a yard jockey at a very large freight terminal. We were surrounded by large fields and plenty of wildlife. At night we used to watch fox deliberately try to get the deer to chase them - so they could return for the fawns. It was a constant game to see if the doe would make a deadly (for her fawn) mistake.

We never saw full size deer chased by fox. But we saw many deer chase fox.

I think we were always told that bear eat fawns? But; I have never witnessed that or heard others talk about it.

Old 06-29-2013, 03:40 PM

36,484 posts, read 43,738,878 times
I started the thread in 2009 and since know a lot more about the critters around here. Sometimes we can hear the coyotes at night right through our double pane windows and even with the water running or the TV on. Scary as heck when they sound so close. We sometimes see them in daylight but not very often and rarely see one squished on the side of the road. But we see squished deer all the time- but not enough as I would like.

Old 06-29-2013, 05:11 PM

13,820 posts, read 18,775,199 times
a couple of nights ago a friend of mine called me and told me she was sitting in her house and she had the lights off and her big huge german sheppard was sitting by her chair all of a sudden the dog got up and started growling and then my freind looked at the big picture window there in the big picture window was a coyote with his or her face right at the window . she screamed and agitated her gsd and the gsd was growling back at the window . She said she has never been so scared living there her husband said that they are going to be on the lookout if he catches one on the property it is gone via the shot gun .He said he is not having that problem .

Old 06-30-2013, 08:07 AM

25,630 posts, read 30,413,262 times
In deer camp we can hear the "Yotes" screaming and calling in the middle of the night when they find a gut pile from a deer kill. As a kid when I first heard that it made my skin crawl.

Then I went hunting in Idaho and heard wolves for the first time in person.

At night around the fire they came racing by our camp just out of view chasing a deer or an elk. Several minutes later about a 1/4 mile away you could hear the take down and the animal crying out for a few minutes then just the sound of the wolves calling the pack for the feast.

I will never forget that until the day I die.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden